Why become a member? ×

Change of Strings-issues with Nut and Bridge.....

Here's a thing: changed from 40-125 Bronze Strings on my Godin 5er to 65-135 Tapewound Rotosound Truwounds.

My big issue is the B string, literally. I've had to gently widen the nut with a round file (MDP take note) so that the string sits in the slot ( rather than on top of it) but as the photos show with additional thickness of the string, I've got a nearly 2mm gap between the string at the 1st fret and almost 4mm at the final fret!

The rest of the strings are fine actionwise, so not worth tweaking the truss rod, but do I....

1. File some more out the nut so the B string sits lower and /or
2. File a groove in the bridge too? It's a piezo bridge, the plastic bit does lift out so I would not damage the piezo by filing a groove.

I'm conscious that once I do 1&2 above I can't go back to thinner strings, so do I buy another nut and bridge or if I do go back, build up the amount taken out with epoxy ?
Currently the B string is almost unplayable as it is so high so something needs to be done.

What would you do please?

[attachment=132696:P1030047.JPG]
[attachment=132697:P1030048.JPG]

To me it looks like the best solution is to make the nut and bridge fit the current string set by doing as you suggested and filing the nut and bridge to make it work.

Replacement nuts and suitable bridge saddles are relatively inexpensive and you could easily buy a backup set so when you're ready to change the strings back to a lighter guage you just pop the right set it :)

To me it looks like the best solution is to make the nut and bridge fit the current string set by doing as you suggested and filing the nut and bridge to make it work.

Replacement nuts and suitable bridge saddles are relatively inexpensive and you could easily buy a backup set so when you're ready to change the strings back to a lighter guage you just pop the right set it :)

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1366151823' post='2049123']
Yes, it occurs to me rather than filing the bridge and putting in grooves, I could take a little off the underneath to the same effect.
[/quote]

Yes, that's the way to do it.
If you start making notches in the bridge it's going to snag the string.

Just make sure you file the underside of the bridge evenly so it can sit flat on the piezo and make good contact over it's entire length.