Why become a member? ×

Session work and how do i get it ?

Basschatfield

The majority of session work comes by word of mouth - producers, MDs, bandleaders etc will have go to people that they will call for sessions and a personal recommendation is probably worth more than anything else.

With that in mind, networking is absolutely key - get talking to, involved with and playing with as many musicians as you can, make it known that you're available and go build yourself a reputation!

You can build yourself profiles on various online sites, and there's Facebook groups dedicated to hooking bands up with deps etc but it's rare that somebody will go down that route as a first choice when looking for players.

The ability to get up on stage look at the drum and groove, not only that you need to be talking to the right people, you'll be surprised by the ease in your local area that you can find some low paid "session" work, would be more depping unless you're a Londoner in which case to find that work you need names numbers and a portfolio of recordings to show people

Just wait and eventually someone with the right contacts will sort you out big time.

I remember a couple of years ago I was really struggling to find any work when a chance meeting with a Welshman ended up with me now getting as much live work as I can be bothered to take on.

I would say that the whole idea of 'session work' (I'm assuming you mean studio work?) is not as financially or professionally rewarding as live dep work. It can be quite boring, the money's not amazing, you'll probably have to get yourself there and back for free, and, in my opinion, it's harder to get in with the right people and get repeat work.

In a live band situation, you can integrate yourself with the band and you can impress in more ways than just your playing (charisma, stage presence etc). In a studio environment everything you do is scrutinised and it's very difficult to play exactly what is needed.

Truckstop

[quote name='Basschatfield' timestamp='1366146490' post='2049034']
Okay awesome thank you guys. Well i already hang out with a bunch of musicians and i play hundreds of gigs with my bands so i'll just start asking around.

[/quote]

This is probably the best way forward. It sounds like you know a few people already, so ask around and let them know you're available for session work. All you need is one good session to get you started. Nail a recording in good time, get a pat on the back from whoever is financing the project and keep your fingers crossed that your star rises from there. Make sure you're ready for the session on the day though, as a bad session will do you far more damage than a great session will do you good.

Even if you can get some work though, I suspect the days of being a 'proper' session man are over. The likes of Anthony Jackson, who made a living off high end session work, will never be seen again, as there just isn't enough session work these days to sustain that kind of thing. Even less so in the UK. The best session players these days all have alternate revenue streams like online lessons, music college tours etc etc, which should give you a hint as to how the industry is going!