Why become a member? ×

Home studio setup advice

Me And My Bass

Alright guys,

I have been into home recording for a few years now, nothing seriously heavey . . . mostly acoustic & vocal stuff.

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 + Focusrite Octopre & have been running a Dell laptop with Reaper & Cubase. I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a Mac of some kind and changing to Logic which l used all the way through music college.

I am looking at a Mac Mini's 2.5 i5 or 2.3 i7, both have 4gb ram which l am thinking of upgrading to 8gb . . . . whats folks thoughts of this setup? I have a monitor, apple keyboard & mouse already.

This setup is just over half the price of a basic macbook pro, any view of what am l better with?

Cheers guys!

+1 for Mac Minis. Brilliant gear. I myself use a 2008 model iMac (2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor) and 4GB RAM and that runs Logic and Reason together absolutely flawlessly.

I'll always recommend going down the second hand Mac route first and seeing what's about before buying new - you could grab yourself a massive bargain.