Why become a member? ×

Matching cabs up....

Rayman

Quick question for those in the know.....

I just sold an Ashdown ABM 2x10 compact. It was paired with an ABM 1x15 and was used with an ABM EVO 575 head.

The buyer has pointed out that the 2x10 power rating is 200W @ 8OHMs, I'd assumed it was 300W @ 8OHMs, the same as the 1x15.

Is this all ok? The buyer is concerened that 200W is not enough power handling, and that he may blow something?

Any help greatly appreciated. I've never got to grips with it all to be honest.

Yes it'll be fine. He'll never reach the sort of volumes required to make the speakers fart noticeably!

Assuming this dude runs the amp at half power (I don't think I've ever turned anything up that loud!) both cabs will be receiving about 125-150w. Each speaker in the cab (rated at 100w each) will be receiving 50-75w each so they'll be quite safe.

Truckstop

Edited by Truckstop

Funny things 10" drivers, a good 100 watt 10" can throw more bass than a 300W 10" due to travel on the cone.
The Old trace elliot celestion 100W drivers are virtually indescructable, where as the peavey sheffield 150 watt give up the ghost at next to nothing.
He will be fine, power handeling is not everything, it is how much air it can move.

Edited by spacey

Well the issue is more working out whether the head is too powerful for the driver. In this case, yes. But only if the guy decides to use all the available power from the amp.

Doesn't matter how efficient a speaker is; if too much power is pushing it, it will blow up.

Truckstop

Problem isn't that the head is too powerful. Problem comes when you can't hear the 15 farting out because the 2x10 is louder and still comfortable, so you don't turn down and the 15 dies. Had it happen with that combo of speakers before. Always better to have matching cabs than mixed ones, so nothing is out of balance. Two different cabs have different impedance curves so at some frequencies, power won't be distributed evenly, and that frequency can be one where the speaker copes badly with the power.

Plus, if you want to be a bit quieter - or lazy - and only take one cab, you don`t need to re-eq if your cabs are the same. 210 & 115 rigs sound great to me, but remove either cab and your sound is changed a fair bit.