Why become a member? ×

Any Double Bassists Local to Notts?

mcgraham

I'm hankering to get into upright/double bass and would love to get together with a local BCer who plays and has a nice instrument who could show me the basics and talk me through it. Happy to provide a coffee and pack of biscuits!

Anyone?

I used to work in Notts and when I first tried double bass, I got a kind of intro lesson from a guy in Mapperley. I found that really useful. If you don't find a willing BCer, I'd suggest that. For me it was twenty quid well spent. I'd offer but I'm in Sheffield and left handed.

Just thought I'd let folks know I've booked a lesson with a local bass expert, John Porter, and also visited a local builder/repairer/stockist who took an hour or so out of his day to talk me through double basses and let me try a few. It has only fuelled my desire for one!

They are just such beautiful objects. Even cheap ones. I think most bass guitarists struggle not to be tempted by them.

I am constantly drooling over antique double basses I can't afford and have no realistic need for. I've played bass guitar for over 20 years and never spent more than £700 on one, and would really struggle to convince myself to do so, but if I had five grand to throw away I would buy an attractive old double bass in a heartbeat.

It makes no sense. It's love!

That's about right! It's the sort of instrument you can have stood in your room as a piece of art AND as an instrument.

I love how connected you feel to the instrument. When you 'hug' it from behind you feel 'at one' with the instrument, without having to plug it in. THAT alone is making me want one.

[quote name='mcgraham' timestamp='1365747660' post='2043732']
That's about right! It's the sort of instrument you can have stood in your room as a piece of art
[/quote]

Bet the missus disagrees.. :yarr:

They are seriously intrusive. You can't hide them with a subtle array of soft furnishings :lol:

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1365758011' post='2043903']
Bet the missus disagrees.. :yarr:

They are seriously intrusive. You can't hide them with a subtle array of soft furnishings :lol:
[/quote]

Fortunately the missus DOES agree :D beauty of being married to a musician as well!

You are right though, intrusive is the word. Fortunately it would be in my teaching room, and so would add to the ambience!

Just had my first lesson - it's seriously physical.