Why become a member? ×

Basschat Mini-Festival?

The Funk

[quote name='bassboy115' post='26726' date='Jul 3 2007, 09:26 PM']Maybe booking out a pub with a field so we can camp... With all the different equipment people own on here im sure we could get together a bit of a marquee and stage/lights etc....

This may sound a bit of a crap idea...but its just an idea[/quote]

Perfectly feasible and camping is a good idea, though you need to consider whether venues have Entertainment licences etc, or whether you apply for a temporary one (covering IIRC up to 500 people) etc. All perfectly possible though.

[quote name='Muppet' post='26851' date='Jul 4 2007, 09:06 AM']though you need to consider whether venues have Entertainment licences etc, or whether you apply for a temporary one (covering IIRC up to 500 people) etc. All perfectly possible though.[/quote]

thats why i thought it mite have been a crap idea lol

Haven't been on for a while so missed the beginning of this. As already mentioned (thanks Mark and Steve) I have a potential outside venue, but given the state of this summer it might be a bit risky!

If there were a period of generally good weather the grounds here could be used.

The main costs would be stage, power (generator), lighting, backline, backstage facilities, audience facilities (water, power, food, drink, loos, support, security). Then band fees, unless everyone does a freebee. Then publicity and ticketing.

The natural auditorium (part of our park) could probably hold 2 thousand people, but that's a lot of mouths to feed and cars to park.

Because we're in the middle of nowhere, facilities for all band and audience needs would have to be laid on (a la Galstonbury), and with a large number of people, security and volume of traffic on local roads would need to be addressed.

As for a bass specific event, it sounds more like an event for either bands that feature the bass particularly, or for bands with bass players who are part of the BC community, or both.

It would feed one of my fantasies to put on a band event, but it would also require proper management and some finance as I would not be able to sub the whole thing.

If for more than one day then camping or B&Bs would be the only sensible solution - again facilities are the issue - we have lots of space!

Getting into the full commercial festival game looks a bit too serious and potentially traumatic from my viewpoint at the moment, but a smaller more amateur start would seem possible.

What about a one day event (no overnighting issues) with some local service providers for beer tents / burger bars. Stage, power, lights, backline, portaloos etc. all on hire. Volunteers (from the BC community?) for traffic direction and security duties. Bands from the BC community with minimal fees (expenses?). Nominal ticket price from all attendees except performers and duty volunteers. Audience via word through BC community and maybe some local advertising? Could that get anywhere near breaking even? Probably not, but it might be worth some more examination.

Just a pebble in the pond, but I'd be interested to hear reactions.

Nick S

hmmm....

If it were a 1 day event, would it be possible to maintain the idea of different genres, perhaps on different stages/bars local to one another...with acoutstic, jams, jazz in afternoons...and say a funk/jazz venue/stage, a rock/indie venue/stage and anything else that might be deemed along these lines.

Just another thought.

well me and the boys would have certainly been up for the hard rock night (or just doing an acoustic session depending on whether the drummer is on holiday) but you guys are ow' daawn saaf geezas- awnt ya'? and i live up 'ere near 'ull maa' ya fukkin' dikked! oh well us northeners could have our own festival, anyone for walkiefest?

I was chatting to the owner of our local rehearsal complex about this yesterday and he seems quite fired up about it.
His ideas were using his main showcase room as the mainstage area and opening up the other studio,s as workshop areas and then went on to say that he could organise the whole show including a hogs roast, outside bar and the accomodation etc as the venue has a huge, clean and cheap (around £23 qwid a nite) Hotel complex within walking distance of the studio,s.
His name is roger, he is one of the nicest,most entusiastic and talented guys I have met in years.
The studio is A&R Rehearsals in peterborough which puts the venue in a resonable distance for travelling from north, south,east, and west as it,s just off the A1.
I f anyones interested in checking out the studio website ans speaking to Roger...

www.myspace.com/rogeratanr.

[email protected]

Wiz.