Why become a member? ×

what strings should I purchase

yeah yeah yeah, ok. now we are all thinking this guy is stupid theres post everywhere about this. But... they do not help me very much. ok ok ok. leme tell you what kind of strings im looking for.
I play a squire p bass (nooby i know) in a christian band. im looking for strings that give me a nice warm tone that just makes you feel good inside. I am willing to spend a little bit more than the cheepy strings people buy. give me advice and websites that might help me on my choice of strings. thank you very much and have a nice day. pls i insist have a nice day! :0

[quote name='bass player spinn' post='207765' date='May 28 2008, 03:30 AM']yeah yeah yeah, ok. now we are all thinking this guy is stupid theres post everywhere about this. But... they do not help me very much. ok ok ok. leme tell you what kind of strings im looking for.
I play a squire p bass (nooby i know) in a christian band. im looking for strings that give me a nice warm tone that just makes you feel good inside. I am willing to spend a little bit more than the cheepy strings people buy. give me advice and websites that might help me on my choice of strings. thank you very much and have a nice day. pls i insist have a nice day! :0[/quote]

:) ..O.......K.

Well from what Ive learn't from string experiance is that Nickels provide a warm deep sound and Steels give a brighter, snappier tone (I esp like).

If you're looking for long lasting strings, get some Warwick EMP's or even Elixirs.

Good Luck.

Have you looked at the Wiki?

Also, somewhere on here(buggered if I can remember where) there's a very useful guide to tonal qualities by manufacturer.

Failing that, there's Google. Type in Bass string guide or something like that and see what you get. :)

[quote name='bass player spinn' post='207765' date='May 28 2008, 03:30 AM']yeah yeah yeah, ok. now we are all thinking this guy is stupid theres post everywhere about this. But... they do not help me very much. ok ok ok. leme tell you what kind of strings im looking for.
I play a squire p bass (nooby i know) in a christian band. im looking for strings that give me a nice warm tone that just makes you feel good inside. I am willing to spend a little bit more than the cheepy strings people buy. give me advice and websites that might help me on my choice of strings. thank you very much and have a nice day. pls i insist have a nice day! :0[/quote]

'a nice warm tone that just makes you feel good inside' So you don't want a growly, clangy agressive sound? Flatwounds, then.

D'Addario Chromes Flatwound Bass strings are famed for their smooth feel and warm, mellow tone, it says here.

hey not stupid at all, when i first started playing i spent more on strings than my bass! Flatwound strings sound like the sound your after, tomastik's sound great but are expensive and very low tension so may take a little getting used to especially if your touch is a bit on the heavy side, chromes are also great but my current favorites are Ernie ball flats. Give a set a go, if you like them they last for ever compared to most round wound strings.
With strings there really is no substitute for trying them out for yourself, what one player loves the next will hate for instance a lot of people love DR coated strings, i have brought two basses fitted with with Black beauties and binned them ( but i do love DR fat beams)

hello, Im 15 years old and play in a church band. We usually play a little easier songs but we also play some pretty hard stuff. christian rock isnt to bad to play but.... anyways. i have a squire p bass which is decent for what i play. Im thinking about buying new strings now that ive been playing the stock strings for about 8 months (they sound like crep!) I have already narrowed down that I am going to get nickel coated or whatever nickel for sure. I am going to get roundwound. and i have also decided that i am chosing iether warwick strings, elixers, or cheapy fenders. I need advice on which strings can get up and go.. but also have a nice warm sound when implaying those notes that last for about an hour. not looking for like a zingey sound. anyways.. uhh feel free to talk about it all you want. If you dont think i should get nickel coated or nickel whatever tell me. and if im wrong on anything here tell me. message me. dont be afraid to send me a personal message. thanks to all who help feel free to aid. oh and sugguest anything. TAKING IN EVERYTHING. thanks a bunch

BASS PLAYER SPINN

just so u know my situation....ok lol

[quote name='budget bassist' post='209250' date='May 29 2008, 11:17 PM']Well what everyone else has said so far sounds like they were answering your question to me. They're not stupid.

And yes *roundwounds* feel different, they're softer and easier on your fingers, and yes they sound like the sound you're going for.[/quote]

you mean 'flatwounds' surely?