Why become a member? ×

Bass - lightweight, Handmade in the US ** Gone, pending giving it away for free **

Sharkfinger

The body is swamp-ash, is chambered, has a book-matched top and is french-polished. The neck is pretty decent too. Hand-made in the USA and it originally had Nordstrand P/J pickups.

Hold on a minute, this is the recycling section, surely I've made a mistake listing it here?

Actually no.

I bought this a few years ago unseen from the states and it cost about £350 all-told. That should have a warning sign. It is very lightweight, looks great and plays well but look closely at the body: the strings don't line up with the pick-up pole pieces, which meant the output of the D and G strings was far lower than the others. Rather than go through the hassle of sending it back straight-away like I should have, thought I would have a go at sorting it out.

Lengthened the bottom P pickup route and moved it lower which helped but didn't completely sort it out. Problem is, the bridge was mounted in the wrong place so it's never going to be completely right. Just move the bridge? Tried that with a standard Fender bridge but it turns out the pickup routes are slightly wrong too. It's like the bridge and pickups were an afterthought.

Can't simply move the current bridge because of the string-though holes in the body would be difficult to fill, being quite large

EMGs - with their bar magnets instead of pole-pieces - would probably sort the 'lining-up' and output issues but if you want to use light gauge strings (which I prefer) you're going to have to move the bridge or you can't get the intonation right.

So there you are. Got some of my money back by selling the Nordstrands that came with it (which were wired up wrong). Free if you want it on the following conditions:[list]
[*]Will [b]not [/b]post. Have spent enough time and effort on this bass to parcel it up. Pick it up from Enfield or from one of my gigs in Essex.
[*][b]No[/b] [b]electronics [/b]included.
[*]Donate to Basschat.
[/list]
[url="http://www.pixhost.org/show/4180/16409317_img_20130324_112322.jpg"][/url][url="http://www.pixhost.org/show/4180/16409318_img_20130324_112342.jpg"][/url]

Edited by Sharkfinger

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1364131204' post='2022174']
Such a nice bass! It's a shame it wasn't built properly :( I'm sure someone will be able to get it to the standard it deserves to be! Very nice of you to give it up for a donation to BC, I'm sure it won't be around long!
[/quote]

I know, that's why I've held onto it this long. Been using it as a practice bass, which it's absolutely fine for, so if you've got a set of pickups and a wiring harness, you're set.