Why become a member? ×

Spector Shorty USA - Sold
£1400

Ashborygirl

[s]Folks

For reasons I wont go in to on a public message board, I'm quitting music for at least 18 months, possibly permanently. So here's my last bass for sale.

This is a Spector USA Shorty bass. Originally designed for Garry Tallent, Stuart Spector decided to make this bass available to order to the general public & it offers all the luxury appointments of a USA Spector but with a 30.4 inch scale. The body is light weight mahogany with a superb quilted maple top & finished in a translucent black satin. The neck is a bolt on 3 piece maple affair with dual graphite rods and a pau ferro fingerboard. Hardwear consists of a Hipshot Type A bridge & Gotoh GB7 tuners. Electrics are a pair of EMG 35CS soapbars & an Aguilar OPB-3 preamp, controls are Vol / Vol / Mid /Stacked treble & bass and you also have push pull on each volume for coil tapping and a push pull on the mid to select frequency.

If you want a boutique short scale bass your options are pretty limited. This offers the sort of sound feel & refinement that a discerning player will appreciate with the advantage of being an absolute breeze to play.

The bass is immaculate & comes with the Spector hardcase. I haven't owned it long & I believe it is the only one in the country, retail is @ £2600, I paid £1850 but I will sell for £1400. Not interested in any trades or offers, happy to ship at your expense/risk.

thanks[/s]

[size=4][/size]

Edited by Ashborygirl

Tonally there is remarkably little difference, I find the attack not quite as quick with the shorty & it has a little more natural mid-range in the tone. The quality of the tone though remains & there's no doubt that this is a top end bass in that respect. The shorter scale is initially a surprise in terms of the playing feel but you quickly get used to it & it is supremely comfortable to play for hours at a time. What it's not is a Gibson short scale, you won't find the thumpy boom with the ultra short attack & extended bloom. This is the classic rich & complex Spector tone that cuts through great.

Thank you for the kind words. It is a superb instrument but I know many people think short scale = Gibson EB sound. The bolt on maple neck, maple top & modern electrics mean it's a million miles away from the Gibson tone, it's a modern sounding bass with a massive range of tones.

Hi,

I had been looking at this very bass on bass direct web site before you bought it. Beautiful bass and Garry Tallent is one of my favourite players. Can i ask a question? Do you have a choice to run the pick-ups as two single coils rather than the soapbars? According to the blurb on the spector site this is possible. Have you tried the bass this way and if so what did it sound like? My prefered option would have been 2 j pick-ups and I am still contemplating ordering one in that configuration,but still undecided.

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave

Each pickup has it's own split on its respective volume control so you can run any combination of humbucker & single coil. With both pickups in single coil mode it does sound very much like EMG's J pickup set, a favourite of mine. Oddly enough i had comtemplated the exact same thing but the delivery time & lack of a discount steered me to this one. I can't say i was disapointed, it is a very versatile setup, I particularly like the bridge in singlecoil & neck in humbucking which is very full sounding but with a bit of Jazz like honk.

[quote name='Ashborygirl' timestamp='1364387709' post='2025714']
Hi Dave

Each pickup has it's own split on its respective volume control so you can run any combination of humbucker & single coil. With both pickups in single coil mode it does sound very much like EMG's J pickup set, a favourite of mine. Oddly enough i had comtemplated the exact same thing but the delivery time & lack of a discount steered me to this one. I can't say i was disapointed, it is a very versatile setup, I particularly like the bridge in singlecoil & neck in humbucking which is very full sounding but with a bit of Jazz like honk.
[/quote]

Do you have anything recorded with the bass?

Would it come with a hard case? If so, I'd be happy to offer the £1,400. I'd prefer to collect, I'm based in Bath. Are you far away? I'm not sure about giving out telephone numbers or addresses on here, I only joined last night to respond to the thread! Let me know best way of contact? Cheers.