Why become a member? ×

NAD!

ern500evo

Have gone and done it, I've joined the lightweight gang! The band have been travelling to gigs individually more lately as we no longer have access to our van, which has meant humping gear back into the house in the early hours. So, after some research I'd decided that the features on the TC RH450 would suit my needs. Well one just happened to turn up locally, with footswitch and gig bag for £450. So off I went this morning, money in pocket to try it out. I should add that my plan was to advertise my ABM500 and Warwick tubepath heads, whichever one sold first the money would go towards the TC and the other would stay with me as a spare head. Anyway, whilst testing the head I happen to ask the seller why he's selling, turns out he's been hunting high and low for a Warwick Tubepath 5.1! So a deal was struck there and then! What are the odds, that I find an RH450, local, at the right price, and the seller just happens to be looking for the exact amp that I'm selling! Happy days. Only question is now, would it be daft not to get some lightweight cabs to go with it! Time to advertise my ABM500, Warwick WCA 211, 411 & 115, sansamp and Korg rack tuner me thinks!!

Nice one. I have also moved from Ashdown to an RH450 this week. I am so impressed with the flexibility of these amps. Like any amp with four parametric EQ controls, you need a bit of experience, good ears and a little time to get the best out of them, but it's well worth the effort IMO.
My Baer ML112 cabs go astoundingly well with the amp BTW, if your budget could possibly squeeze that far.
To the OP, what a co-incidence about the trade. Couldn't have worked out any better for you !

Thanks guys. I do like the look of the Baer cabs, they are a little beyond my budget at the moment but as I said, I've currently got 2x10, 4x10, 1x15 and 8x10 cabs so i'm fortunately in a position where i dont have to rush into anything so I'm probably going to wait until the coffers swell a bit, shift on some of my un-needed gear and make sure I get some really decent light cabs. The coincidence with the trade was amazing, especially given how uncommon those tubepath heads are. My football match has been called off this morning so I'm gonna re-string my Warwick with its first set of Elixirs and spend some time playing about with the TC. Only bad thing to come from all this, when I went to the guys house to try it out he had a lovely Ibanez SR1205E which played like a dream, and now I can't stop looking at them, here we go again.......!!

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1364107096' post='2021909']
Only bad thing to come from all this, when I went to the guys house to try it out he had a lovely Ibanez SR1205E which played like a dream, and now I can't stop looking at them, here we go again.......!!
[/quote]

Uh oh !

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1364111028' post='2021923']

Uh oh !
[/quote]
Uh-oh indeed! Certainly didn't see bass GAS coming. Strange thing is, I've never owned a 5 string, in my two current bands I don't really have any need for one, but the low B sounded HUGE, certainly brought a grin to my face!

I think many keen bassists seem to feel the need to go through a fiver and a fretless phase at some point. Got to get it out of your system if nothing else !
Personally, I've done the fiver thing and am now full-on into my fretless try out phase !

The TC is a good move.

Getting lighter cabs an even better move. Stupidly I left it until after I damaged my back lifting heavy cabs.

It looks like you've a lot of big old cab technology.

You'd be surprised how good modern light cabs sound, and how loud the smaller cabs can get.

The TC 210's and 212's sound very good with their amps.

As you're already an owner I'd check out Warwicks for 5ers.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1364200008' post='2022948']
The TC is a good move.

Getting lighter cabs an even better move. Stupidly I left it until after I damaged my back lifting heavy cabs.

It looks like you've a lot of big old cab technology.

You'd be surprised how good modern light cabs sound, and how loud the smaller cabs can get.

The TC 210's and 212's sound very good with their amps.

As you're already an owner I'd check out Warwicks for 5ers.
[/quote]
TBH I think the GAS for a 5'er will pass, I'm currently working with two cover bands and the hipshot's on my 4's get me low enough atm. Maybe at some point I'll get a cheapy to mess about at home with. Lighter cabs are definitely higher up the shopping list at the moment. You're right about the amount of old heavy tech I've got now though. The list of stuff which can be classed as surplus and moved on currently reads:
Ashdown ABM500 Evo RC
Ashdown MAG 810
Warwick WCA411 pro
Warwick WCA115 pro
Warwick WCA211 pro
Sansamp PBDDI
Korg DTR2000
Although I did discover on friday that some twat at our rehearsal space tilted and dragged my 8x10 sideways and the caster bracket has gone through the base of the cab, so looks like that'll be staying with me as a practice cab now!! So, I guess I've got some photography and ad writing to be getting on with!

Edited by ern500evo