Why become a member? ×

Significant Feedback Problems with my new upright

4ropebottom

[b] I recently sold my German hybrid Eberle and bought a Shen. Unamplified, the Shen is a superior instrument with a much better sound. However, I'm having some serious problems with the feedback on this instrument. I use a Realist through a GK MB150 with matching extension cab.

I'm actually considering a magnetic pickup because of it - I always said I wouldn't do that, because I want it to sound like an upright bass. But one can't go to gigs not knowing whether you will be able to dial in a sound that is full, balanced, at an acceptable volume without feedback!

AARRGHH! Anyone have advice?[/b]

PlatPro should help a lot - the phase switch alone might do it, let alone playing with the para EQ. Also try dampening the after-length of the strings with some foam or cloth. Your rig is perfectly good so its the resonance of the bass that needs a bit of taming.

Also maybe play around with placement of your amp so it doesn't directly point at the bass

Edited by Clarky

Thanks Clarky. Tried the amp placement...not much luck. Did put a towel under the tailpiece - helped a wee bit. Going to try the fishman next, and possibly a Full Circle pickup, because the Realist sits on the top, and the top of this bass is very resonant.

Had another guy tell me that rolling up the towel between the bridge legs worked much better than under the tailpiece....

Does that Fishman have a notch filter? If not, you might find EQ bands just too wide to be useful in killing feedback.

I've found that raising the cab really helps, although too much height can cause a loss of output (boundary reinforcement etc). A lot of people report Full Circle to be very resistant to feedback.

There are three types off feedback - the high pitched scream, the low foghorn and the feeling that your playing isn't as tight as it should be, ie a general echo in the background. Which one is yours? I used an MB 150 several years ago, still do from time to time, and used to get a loud scream. My solution was to back the treble control off to 9 oclock. Also an outboard preamp with phase switch will help a lot.

bassace - there's no high pitch problem. It's a low to low-midrange "foghorn" sound when I take my fingers off the strings or set the bass down. When I'm playing, it's a little of both, but primarily the unusual echo and overtones that makes it hard to distinguish the note that is being played, and sometimes even sounds a bit like two notes at once.

As Clarky said earlier make sure to dampen the after lenght (as in the strings between the bridge & the tail piece) if i don't do this with mine l get horrendous feedback,i use some velcro tape for this.
The Fishman is a must too & works very well,i wouldn't leave home without mine.
Also cut the bass setting on your amp too as it also cuts the boom down too & will make your notes much clearer.

Can you try any other pickups on your bass? Maybe the Realist just isn't a match with that particular bass. I switched from a fishman pickup (always had feedback, had to dampen everything) to a revolution solo and haven't a problem since. Bass straight into a GK mb500 and 1x12 cab, no preamp and no feedback.

Unfortunately Bill Evans never gave me the call afterwards. :D

Ive never used a full circle but ive seen Renaud garcia fons use one so i imagine it must be pretty much on the money.

Both my tutors blend a realist and underwood together as the realist doesn't seem to like to get loud so maybe that could be a good match.

Check out this thread
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/171865-amplification-feedback-woesnow-cured/page__st__20
- FYI I have now moved onto an Armstrong pickup, the Schaller was good but a bit microphonic and hummed a bit. The AKG C411 makes the sound come alive, but without the mag pickup in the mix the sound is a bit thin.