Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hugh Hopper Soft Machine Two Fuzz

Beer of the Bass

I was listening to Soft Machine's second album the other day, and really enjoying the Fuzz sounds. It's got a more abrasive, raspier edge than I can get with a Big Muff, and it's not so mid-scooped. Does anyone know what he might have been using? We're talking late '60s England, so I guess there weren't that many choices around. Since the schematics for most things are available nowadays, I'd like to build myself a copy of whatever it was!

Searching around this forum and a couple of others, I'm going with the idea that it was the Shaftesbury Duo Fuzz, which AFAIK is another incarnation of the Shin-Ei FY6 and Univox Super Fuzz. I googled Hugh Hopper and Shaftesbury together and came up with this interview where the man himself confirms it: [url="http://www.myspace.com/thesofts68/blog/233186822"]http://www.myspace.com/thesofts68/blog/233186822[/url]
So I'm going to build a Super Fuzz clone and see if it gets me there. I'm using the PCB from Poodle's Pedal Parts and adding a blend circuit. If all goes well, I'll post some pictures in the DIY pedals thread.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

• 2 weeks later...

It's finished and working. It does absolutely nail the Soft Machine fuzz bass thing! It's got that real sandpapery edge that the Muff lacks. I find I prefer the mid-notched setting on bass - it's centred high enough at 1K that there are still some mids going on below that. The normal setting is very midrangey and focussed, though with a little less low end than the notched setting. It'll be fun trying it with the band. We've got a gig tonight, but I should probably try it at a rehearsal first...

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1365865138' post='2045371']
It's finished and working. It does absolutely nail the Soft Machine fuzz bass thing! It's got that real sandpapery edge that the Muff lacks. I find I prefer the mid-notched setting on bass - it's centred high enough at 1K that there are still some mids going on below that. The normal setting is very midrangey and focussed, though with a little less low end than the notched setting. It'll be fun trying it with the band. We've got a gig tonight, but I should probably try it at a rehearsal first...

[/quote]
Ooh! Make me one! :)

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1366140647' post='2048936']
Ooh! Make me one! :)
[/quote]
Not sure I'd want to offer that, being busy with various other things including sorting out my marriage next month. You could get a kit from www.pedalparts.co.uk though, I reckon the Superfuzz goodness is worth the effort!

Well done you. I was a great Softs fan when I was playing in bass in bands in the late 60's/ 70's. We use to make our own effects and even synths. I had a home made fuzz tone that did this job superbly. The pioneering spirit lives on!