Why become a member? ×

re-valving: ampeg svp-pro

ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' post='207159' date='May 27 2008, 12:07 PM']i think i'm going to treat my ampeg to a new set of valves.

i've really no idea what to go for...the pre uses 4 12ax7s and a 12au7...

i'd like to reduce the noise the preamp puts out a bit if possible.

any ideas ?[/quote]

Morning,

I'm contemplating the same at the moment. I think Steve-soar is the man to speak to on this issue... When I was thinking about buying an SVP he wrote the following:

"It's got a new set of tubes in it ,Harma Diamond's in positions, 1 2 3 and 5 and a Phillips Cryogenic in position 4. It's quet, for a pre with 5 valves, three dimensioal sounding and I can hear myself at much lower volumes through guitar and load drums."

He's a v.friendly chap and I'm sure he won't mind a PM if you wanted to discuss with him.
Let me know what you decide to do though as I'm still weighing up my options.
Nick

[quote name='ahpook' post='207159' date='May 27 2008, 12:07 PM']any ideas ?[/quote]

I have a great idea - call Steve Rowse [url="http://www.stevesamps.co.uk/"]http://www.stevesamps.co.uk/[/url]

Hamster

Hi ahpook, I bought the pre off Dood and he had replaced the tubes with the Harma's. The pre was very quiet when I used it with the Crown amp and it's a little noisier with the IP310 cab I'm using now. I definitely think that the SVP is more suited to certain combinations and it's a sensitive piece of gear but it sounds great. It would be great to have all the best valves to hand to try to see which best suited our set ups but the best we can hope for are well informed tests, otherwise, it would cost a fortune.
Steve.

[quote name='coasterbass' post='207160' date='May 27 2008, 12:13 PM']Morning,

I'm contemplating the same at the moment. I think Steve-soar is the man to speak to on this issue... When I was thinking about buying an SVP he wrote the following:

"It's got a new set of tubes in it ,Harma Diamond's in positions, 1 2 3 and 5 and a Phillips Cryogenic in position 4. It's quet, for a pre with 5 valves, three dimensioal sounding and I can hear myself at much lower volumes through guitar and load drums."

He's a v.friendly chap and I'm sure he won't mind a PM if you wanted to discuss with him.
Let me know what you decide to do though as I'm still weighing up my options.
Nick[/quote]

That's correct. I actually loaded the Ampeg preamp with those new valves just prior to selling it to Steve. I rate the Harma Diamond valves very highly and they make a marked difference over the stock valves in the SVP.. I mean.. even from brand new. Every valve preamp I have owned had been upgraded with Harma valves. I have had 3 Ampegs (an SVP black face/an SVP hammerite face and a BSB Billy Sheehan pre), a Warwick, a Trace Elliot V type and my beloved SVT 2 Pro that I sold when my back had enough.

Steve speaks very highly of the tone he is getting now..and frankly, i dont blame him! ;o) Tonally it is big.. noise wise, it's like a sleeping bay!

[quote name='steve-soar' post='207418' date='May 27 2008, 06:02 PM']Hi ahpook, I bought the pre off Dood and he had replaced the tubes with the Harma's. The pre was very quiet when I used it with the Crown amp and it's a little noisier with the IP310 cab I'm using now. I definitely think that the SVP is more suited to certain combinations and it's a sensitive piece of gear but it sounds great. It would be great to have all the best valves to hand to try to see which best suited our set ups but the best we can hope for are well informed tests, otherwise, it would cost a fortune.
Steve.[/quote]

Beat me to it Steve!! How coincidental was that!!

[quote name='steve-soar' post='207418' date='May 27 2008, 06:02 PM']Hi ahpook, I bought the pre off Dood and he had replaced the tubes with the Harma's. The pre was very quiet when I used it with the Crown amp and it's a little noisier with the IP310 cab I'm using now. I definitely think that the SVP is more suited to certain combinations and it's a sensitive piece of gear but it sounds great. It would be great to have all the best valves to hand to try to see which best suited our set ups but the best we can hope for are well informed tests, otherwise, it would cost a fortune.
Steve.[/quote]

thanks steve (and everyone else !!) i think you've decided for me :)

harma's it is !!!

[quote name='dood' post='208034' date='May 28 2008, 01:52 PM']They are exclusive to Watford Valves [url="http://www.watfordvalves.com/"]http://www.watfordvalves.com/[/url][/quote]

thanks - i had a look at them last night...might be a month or so before i can afford it though !

If its any help I was quoted £15 a valve for Harma valves (thats £75 for an SVP) + fitting/overhaul costs

Notes:
1) I have no idea whether the 'Harma' i was quoted for are the same as the Diamonds in Dood's amp
2) I have no idea whether this is good value or not.

[quote name='coasterbass' post='210138' date='May 31 2008, 02:55 PM']how much should this cost then?[/quote]

Well, if that is how much Derek has quoted you for those valves, then I guess that is the price. However, I have seen some places doing stock Sovteks for as little as £3.50 per valve. Which are ok, they do the job just fine. I did notice a big difference in tone when I upgraded though.

You do of course have many different options! There are so many different types of valve out there, all with their own characteristics. Ones that distort easily.. those that don't.. ones that have a biting tone, others that are PHAT and woolly. Essentially, you can changed the tone of the preamp completely! Some have reported that putting the wrong valve into a particular preamp can be a bad match tonally.. You get a good match and you can be in sonic heaven!

I really like the Harma valves. They are a Telefunken clone.. infact, the Harma name is just a rebadge on a drive and quality tested valve, the ECC83S by JJ/Tesla. As i have said alreay, the JJ is a clone of the famous Telefunken ECC803S. If you can find an original NOS one of these and see the price tag you will no doubt gasp! Watford valves, I understand pic only the very best examples from the stock to use and hence, you probably aren't far away from Telefunken territory.

I would love to try a set of Mullards. A completely different tone, but are highly sought after. I'd be interested to find out who is doing a really good quality clone of the original ECC83.