Why become a member? ×

DOD Meatbox

Kev

Lots of discussion about the place about this.

You can't hear it. Don't even try on YouTube. You sure can feel though. As long as it doesn't rip your speakers in two the floor and walls will move. It's very unmusical, but simulates PA subs from a regular cab. Octave down blended with huge boosts of 30 and 60hz.

I used one for a while, but replaced it with an Aguilar Octamizer which does a similar - not as rumbling and low, but far more musical - effect with its filter rolled back.

The MB is one of a kind in pedal form and if you are playing gigs with huge PA's then it can do some special stuff to people's bodies.

Interesting. Only really that effective for live us then? Just thought it seemed remarkably expensive for a DOD effect that i havn't even really heard of! Certainly sounds quite cool though...

Yeah. Totally useless for recording. The signal chain is a bit noisy under a microphone too. Live work it's great if you have a PA or your rig can handle it.

Everyone should try one once though. It's an experience!

There is a modern clone now available an I know of another clone in development. They offer an improvement on some components, but will set you back about the same. The Aggie is the closest recording-usable octave sub effect IME - that or any octave down and a Moog LPF. That'll get the floor moving!

Edited by pantherairsoft

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the Meatbox is musical.....it's completely stupid, over the top and imperfect....but therein lies it's beauty and character :). The Octamizer is of course smoother, more refined and consistent etc, but does that make it a little less interesting?.....personal preference :)
The expense is mostly down to hype, but as with anything, also scarcity. I'm working on a clone that will hopefully come in under the price of the Mantric copy and the MB itself, the circuit is finished and built, but as with anything, the devil is in the detail. Needs more testing and finding an enclosure is tough. Fingers crossed.

Si

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1363812719' post='2018167']
I don't think anyone is suggesting that the Meatbox is musical.....it's completely stupid, over the top and imperfect....but therein lies it's beauty and character :). The Octamizer is of course smoother, more refined and consistent etc, but does that make it a little less interesting?.....personal preference :)
The expense is mostly down to hype, but as with anything, also scarcity. I'm working on a clone that will hopefully come in under the price of the Mantric copy and the MB itself, the circuit is finished and built, but as with anything, the devil is in the detail. Needs more testing and finding an enclosure is tough. Fingers crossed.

Si
[/quote]

I'm digging up an old thread to ask if you managed to build the Meatbox clone and if so was it a difficult job to do?

It seems the only options available are either an original Meatbox on eBay or a Mantic, both of which are quite pricey for me.

It's still in my pile of pedals to finish! ;).
It's a big 'ol job. If I complete it, it sounds how I want, it's going to be up there with the Mantic pricing.
High parts count (and so therefore build time), obsolete parts, it's not a cheap undertaking :)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1402670335' post='2475842']
It's still in my pile of pedals to finish! ;).
It's a big 'ol job. If I complete it, it sounds how I want, it's going to be up there with the Mantic pricing.
High parts count (and so therefore build time), obsolete parts, it's not a cheap undertaking :)

Si
[/quote]

Is that down to the complexity of the build or price of components?

I'm really surprised there aren't more Meatbox clones and BYOC sets. It seems like its popularity has really taken off and original units don't come cheap.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1403462741' post='2482942']
If you had an EQ pedal set to boost heavily around the 30hz-60hz mark, perhaps with a regular octaver before it, what does the Meatbox offer differently for £150?
[/quote]

It came with super cool fly stickers in the box

And it low-passes the signal to remove the highs. But also, the frequency curve of the meat box is quite unique IMO, I've never heard an EQ pedal boost areas of the frequency spectrum in quite the same way.

You'd get much closer with an Octave pedal and a sweepable/static LPF (like the Moog) than with an octave and EQ setting, but still, it just isn't the same.

• 11 months later...