Why become a member? ×

ESP Ltd B-15/B-55 opinions?

Truckstop

Hello all,

Looking at getting a new cheap back-up 5er and I've clapped eyes on some ESP Ltd basses.

Specs look good, scale length, weight, colour (black) etc all look suited to my needs and I think they look great. Just need to know if it's worth pulling the trigger?

The only place that I can find them is GAK in Brighton and it's a bit far away just to try something out so I'm looking for some advice on whether these are worth buying.

Any help or info appreciated!

Alex

I can only say that I tried an ESP LTD B204 fretless last weekend and I was very impressed with it. Neck is very comfortable, body is the same shape as the two you are looking at and the sound was spot on. I'll be buying one of these at the end of the month for the same reason as you want yours.

I bought an ESP LTD Vintage 204 recently.On arrival I noticed the nut was poorly cut,and when I got it home,the tone control did'nt work.
I returned it immediately and swapped it for a JHS bass.The one I had may have been a one-off,but I will not consider an ESP again.

[quote name='lee4' timestamp='1363539395' post='2013800']
I bought an ESP LTD Vintage 204 recently.On arrival I noticed the nut was poorly cut...
[/quote]

And that reminds me. Lord Sausage on here bought the B-205 fretless recently and that had a poorly cut nut slot on the B string. It doesn't take much to replace a nut though. I would expect to have any new mass produced bass setup by a luthier anyway when I buy it.

Edited by BassBus

I can't speak for the B-15/B-55, but I play a standard B-205. It's very comfy overall, but the active circuit is noisy so I gutted it and wired the pickups passively. Noise gone. The nut on mine is cut perfectly. Maybe just a hair shallow on the E string but nothing worth getting a new nut over. Action is fairly low across the whole fretboard.

Edited by heminder

Seems like ESP have a bit of a problem with nuts.
My ESP LTD-B206SM bass had a sharp edge to the underside of the nut that made it uncomfortable.
In fairness though, a couple of strokes with a file chamfered it out nicely.

The pickups and active electronics are pretty reasonable and the hardware really belongs on a more expensive instrument.

Despite the dubious nut issues that I had, the overall finish was extremely good.

I think the only thing that I can really pick issue with is the weight - you'll need a good, wide, comfy strap if you're planning on using it for an extended period of time.
(I'm no weed but even I feel it after an hour or so!)

My overall summary would be that it's a well built instrument that, if you didn't know better, you'd happily pay 30-40% extra for and still walk away with a smile on your face. :)

Personally, for a backup bass I would keep my eye on eBay for cheap Yamaha 5ers coming up. There's been a BB405 which has been listed twice recently and not sold, so the reserve will probably be coming down again. It got to £132 last time, which is a steal.

I got a BB605 (same but with the NE-1 preamp) last year as a backup, and it's astonishingly good for very little money. There's always RBX375s and BB415s and BB615s going too. I think there's a BB615 on here at the moment, and there's a bc'er selling an RBX775 too, very nice and fairly rare now.

Obviously I think that Yamaha are great value, especially used, but I'd I was buying a new backup it would probably be a squier jazz 5 of some sort, a Yamaha RBX375 or an Ibanez SR305.

EDIT: Sorry, just realised you've already bought something!

Edited by TRBboy