Why become a member? ×

Sadowsky

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='206237' date='May 25 2008, 10:21 PM']Hey guys, does anyone have or have you experienced the Sadowsky outboard preamp/di pedal? I'm ordering a new American Standard Precision soon & was thinking of the Sadowsky outboard pre instead of messing with the bass adding preamps, etc.[/quote]

I had one for a while- it gives plenty of boost but funnily enough didn't make me sound like Marcus Miller.
I can't vouch that it gave me that "Sadowsky sound" either as I had nothing to compare it to.
I believe Aguilar do a new outboard pre too which looks worthy of attention

[url="http://www.aguilaramp.com/products_preamps_tonehammer.htm"]http://www.aguilaramp.com/products_preamps_tonehammer.htm[/url]

[quote]Not being funny but why don't you just buy a Sadowsky?[/quote]

LOL! Yes, I guess I didn't make it quite clear what I was trying to do...

It's the old passive/active argument again. I know that going from an active bass to a passive one I have to increase the gain (thus making the sound a lot harsher.) So I was thinking outboard pre in terms of keeping the amp levels the same, but adding that active boost at the same time. QED? :)

I have one of the early ones.

I used it to take to different rehearsal rooms with amps & cabs of vary quality. I used to run the studio amp as flat as possible, or bypassing the eq if I could, and tweak the Sadowsky to get a decent sound.

Worked surprisingly well, not always getting a superb sound but often much nicer then some of the 'house' rigs.

It stays in my gig bag for emergencies but I haven't used it for a while. Might work nicely with my new Status Electro, lol.

I think I saw one for sale recently at quite a cheap price in the sale section here?

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='206237' date='May 25 2008, 09:21 PM']Hey guys, does anyone have or have you experienced the Sadowsky outboard preamp/di pedal? I'm ordering a new American Standard Precision soon & was thinking of the Sadowsky outboard pre instead of messing with the bass adding preamps, etc.[/quote]

I understand now :) Have you thought about the EBS Microbass II ? It does what you need superbly.

Hi,

Used one of the second generation ones (the type currently available) with a 1966 Fender Jazz for years now and swear by it. It's not a Marcus Miller in a box tone, but short of plugging it into an ash/maple J bass your never destined to get very close to that. What it is is a very usable good quality preamp, small enough to fit into a gigbag pocket and sounds great with a Fender bass. I've owned the Aguilar version and found the Sadowsky to sound better, the frequency centres are the same 40hz and 4khz. I also preferred it over my Avalon U5 finding the flexibilty of the Eq better than the fixed preshape variations offered on the Avalon, altough in fairness the Avalon wins hands down on sound when used as a DI to a mixing console.
I chose the Sadowsky for the same reason of not wanting to modify my Jazz Bass with an onboard style circuit, its a good little box.

Mick

I have the first model and it's good news with the Jazz.
bit of modern bite I suppose.

I've had less use for it on my Precision, but thats got flats on.
but it's super easy to use, good battery life and I'd be surprised if you can't spice up any Fender with one.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='206237' date='May 25 2008, 10:21 PM']Hey guys, does anyone have or have you experienced the Sadowsky outboard preamp/di pedal? I'm ordering a new American Standard Precision soon & was thinking of the Sadowsky outboard pre instead of messing with the bass adding preamps, etc.[/quote]
There's quite a few pedal preamp/DI boxes out there. Obviously the sadowsky is at the nicer end of things, but have you considered John East's [url="http://www.bestbassgear.com/john_east_stmp-01.htm"]STMP-01[/url] for about £30 less than the sadowsky? It has more bells and whistles than the sadowsky, although that may not be what you'r after.

Edited by Hit&Run

I use mine with my '78 Jazz bass and also with an american P bass and it really pumps their tone up, it makes them sound tighter and adds more definition and sustain.

I love mine to death, I just step on it and there is the tone I really like... it transforms my passive basses into a more punchy modern sounding instruments but without loosing their original tone.

I would definetly recommend this box to anyone wanting to add chararcter to a passive bass and not doing any mods to the bass.

The DI also sounds awesome!

MB1. :)
Im selling one on EBAY at the moment.