Why become a member? ×

Cleaning Satin finished necks and fretboard

ZenBasses

So I think while I am off this weekend I'll clean down my bass and restring it.

As you play obviously the back of the neck picks up grease sweat and dirt. You can see on the neck the darker parts that are always in contact with your hand. Plus the fretboard has visible dirt too.

As it's satin finished would lemon oil be a good idea to use on this?

My GB has a ebony fretboard so lemon oil is great for feeding the wood. But the Shuker in question has a satin finished maple fretboard and neck. Lemon oil will leave a residue on non porus surfaces that is difficult to remove.

Any hints or tips?

Otherwise I was going to use a mild soap solution and a microfiber cloth

Many thanks

Ben

Edited by ZenBasses

I clean my necks with with Brasso , which is just watered down T-Cut really , and use Lemon oil on the fretboards (not maple fretboards - they get brasso too)

In fact I use Brasso for everything except Rosewood/Ebony fingerboards. Body - chrome - brass - pickguard etc etc

[quote name='ZenBasses' timestamp='1362759656' post='2004437']
So I think while I am off this weekend I'll clean down my bass and restring it.

As you play obviously the back of the neck picks up grease sweat and dirt. You can see on the neck the darker parts that are always in contact with your hand. Plus the fretboard has visible dirt too.

As it's satin finished would lemon oil be a good idea to use on this?

My GB has a ebony fretboard so lemon oil is great for feeding the wood. But the Shuker in question has a satin finished maple fretboard and neck. Lemon oil will leave a residue on non porus surfaces that is difficult to remove.

Any hints or tips?

Otherwise I was going to use a mild soap solution and a microfiber cloth

Many thanks

Ben
[/quote]

Not much point in using oils on varnish. The lemon in the oil is the cleaning agent so it will clean it. I'd avoid water, it could get under the frets if there is missing laquer.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1362759968' post='2004442']
I clean my necks with with Brasso , which is just watered down T-Cut really , and use Lemon oil on the fretboards (not maple fretboards - they get brasso too)[/quote]

Do you not find it makes satin finshes go gloss? I did on one of mine, but I suppose it depends on what kind of finish it is.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1362760716' post='2004462']Lighter fluid. I get tired of saying lighter fluid but what the f***. Lighter fluid.[/quote]

Yeah def lighter fluid, but it's getting harder to find in recent months. Apparently the shops have to be like mini filling stations fire regs wise so many have just stopped stocking it since most smokers use gas anyway.
I found a shop that had six tins left, so I bought them all. I use it to clean artwork too.
Many Timpson shoe menders shops sell Zippo fluid, which is the same thing but branded so silly money for what it is.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1362760716' post='2004462']
Lighter fluid. I get tired of saying lighter fluid but what the f***. Lighter fluid.
[/quote]

All I read was "lighter fluid" and thought, I bet he's tired of telling us that, before reading the rest :-p

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1362760455' post='2004454']
Do you not find it makes satin finshes go gloss? I did on one of mine, but I suppose it depends on what kind of finish it is.
[/quote]

Not sure I've ever had a satin finish neck Stu - which begs the question as to why I replied to this thread , the answer being I didn't read the OP properly !

Lighter fluid = naptha = panel wipe:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PANEL-WIPE-1LT-DEGREASER-SPIRIT-BASED-PAINT-PREP-FLUID-CAR-BODY-SPRAYING-/160815693448?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item25715cbe88"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item25715cbe88[/url]

(I think.)

Edited by Zenitram

All good suggestions keep them coming.

.. I have both wd40 and lighter fuel so this seems like a great option...

Brasso I thought was slightly abrasive but I'll keep this in mind when I give my gloss neck on my GB a once over..

Lemon oil does has the same effect as fret fast. Leaves a protective barrier.. It does disappear in the but does leave my hands slightly slippy. Might be because i get sweaty palms after playing maybe this is why I feel it more.

As always i will try just a little area first before continuing.

Thanks guys

Edited by ZenBasses

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1362764764' post='2004550']
Lighter fluid = naptha = panel wipe:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PANEL-WIPE-1LT-DEGREASER-SPIRIT-BASED-PAINT-PREP-FLUID-CAR-BODY-SPRAYING-/160815693448?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item25715cbe88"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item25715cbe88[/url]

(I think.)
[/quote]
Be careful with that sh*t!