Why become a member? ×

Volume problem

steviedee

Hi just wondering if anyone knows to regulate the output volume a ray (apart from the obvious :) ). The problem I have is my fretted and fretless 4 stringers have a similar volume output but my 5 string is incredibly loud in comparison. I know I could just turn the volume down but I've played the fretted 4 for about twenty years and keep the volume at 9 o'clock so I'e got room to push it up and down as the tune requires same with the fretless. The 5 seems to hit the same volume at 3 o'clock and live results in the loudest bass in the world or no bass at all......

Lowering pickups.... do I just live with it??

Maybe a replacement pot is in order. You do get some variation on the specs of pots, but yours sounds a bit ridiculous. I don't suppose it's possible someone has replaced it with a linear taper pot is it?

Other than that, do 'Rays have a trim pot to control the output on the electronics?

[quote name='Musky' post='205913' date='May 25 2008, 12:15 PM']Other than that, do 'Rays have a trim pot to control the output on the electronics?[/quote]
If they dont you could always get a tech to fit one. The fun I have is that my basses are pretty close in output but at some venues one sounds louder and at other venues the other. Makes life interesting.