Why become a member? ×

Level Frets

Jase

Just come across this on ebay, anybody had any experience with level frets???

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-fretless-w-surface-level-frets_W0QQitemZ220238771398QQihZ012QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-fretless...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

[quote name='Jase' post='205783' date='May 25 2008, 12:59 AM']Just come across this on ebay, anybody had any experience with level frets???

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-fretless-w-surface-level-frets_W0QQitemZ220238771398QQihZ012QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-fretless...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url][/quote]You extractor of urine, you.

Actually the bass on Ebay has what is commonly referred to (in the us) as fret lines or markers, as in fretless with markers.
Warmoth, USA guitars etc all make aftermarket necks like.

[quote name='Jase' post='206029' date='May 25 2008, 11:59 AM']The reason I posted was, I'm sure I read somewhere that Percy Jones had a "fret levelling" job done on a bass :)[/quote]

Having frets leveled is done to ensure there are no high or low spots, usually done after a refret

MM

Looks like a lined fretless, although I have seen frets that have been ground level with the wood, so only the tang of the fret (the bit bashed into the board) remains.

I'd think that the seller just isn't very knowledgeable & is describing the bass in the best way they can...

Jon.

[quote name='Metal-Mariachi' post='206040' date='May 25 2008, 05:12 PM']Actually the bass on Ebay has what is commonly referred to (in the us) as fret lines or markers, as in fretless with markers.
Warmoth, USA guitars etc all make aftermarket necks like.

Having frets leveled is done to ensure there are no high or low spots, usually done after a refret

MM[/quote]

You're quite correct there mate. Maybe I didn't read the thing about Percy Jones........almost positive though, that a fretless player leveled the frets right down....mind you I could be miles out and talking utter rubbish....has been known :)

I Have a particulary rare Hofner 500/1 with 'level frets' which apartently, according to Hofner amongst others, was made like that but is a rarity. If the fretts had been filed down to be level with the frettboard then you would get at lest one tale tale sign of this being done in the form of markings on the board - however slight. The board can be re-waxed and polished but it is still hard to get it looking seamless. If frett markers is a practice that is going on then it is far more likely to be an original custom. It is just a shame that the seller of this bass dosen't know anymore about the origins of it. Here is a few picture of my bass, which has two sets of 'fretts' - one in maple and the other in bone for the tones and semi-tones. as you can see from the pictures there is no way of removing the fretts and replacing them with wodden and bone ones without massive damage to the frettboard and the MOP edging - backing up what Hofner said.

Edited by double dave

[quote name='double dave' post='207194' date='May 27 2008, 01:11 PM']I Have a particulary rare Hofner 500/1 with 'level frets' which apartently, according to Hofner amongst others, was made like that but is a rarity. If the fretts had been filed down to be level with the frettboard then you would get at lest one tale tale sign of this being done in the form of markings on the board - however slight. The board can be re-waxed and polished but it is still hard to get it looking seamless. If frett markers is a practice that is going on then it is far more likely to be an original custom. It is just a shame that the seller of this bass dosen't know anymore about the origins of it. Here is a few picture of my bass, which has two sets of 'fretts' - one in maple and the other in bone for the tones and semi-tones. as you can see from the pictures there is no way of removing the fretts and replacing them with wodden and bone ones without massive damage to the frettboard and the MOP edging - backing up what Hofner said.[/quote]

That'a a strange one, never seen that before. :)

[quote name='double dave' post='207194' date='May 27 2008, 01:11 PM']I Have a particulary rare Hofner 500/1 with 'level frets' which apartently, according to Hofner amongst others, was made like that but is a rarity.[/quote]
For a lined fretless board, I really like that. Have you got a pic of the whole bass?

J.

Yeah, I just started a new thread called Vintage Hofner 500/1. There are some pictures of it there. It needs a bit of a recon. I have been trying to get some info out of Hofner to see weather I should do it myself or give it back to hofner for a full professional registered job. Check it out -

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20308"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20308[/url]

[quote name='Bassassin' post='207426' date='May 27 2008, 06:04 PM']For a lined fretless board, I really like that. Have you got a pic of the whole bass?

J.[/quote]