Why become a member? ×

optimal 5 string spacing

obi 2 kenobi

Hi, this subject may already have been done to death so apologies to all.
To those who play 5 strings (and above) what is your preferred string spacing ?
Secondly is there a database or even a simple list showing the string spacing by model and manufacturer ?

Cheers y'all

Seek out a bass with a bridge with adjustable action, intonation and [i]spacing[/i] Warwick, for example.
Some commercially available models offer it - I can't remember for sure, but I'm sure that Hipshot, ABM or Schaller do such an item.
Kahler do the 2400 series, which is back in production.

Personally, I seem to favour about 17.5 to 18mm. The common spacings all seem to lie between 16.5 and 19mm from what I've seen.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='205659' date='May 24 2008, 06:43 PM']Seek out a bass with a bridge with adjustable action, intonation and [i]spacing[/i] Warwick, for example.
Some commercially available models offer it - I can't remember for sure, but I'm sure that Hipshot, ABM or Schaller do such an item.
Kahler do the 2400 series, which is back in production.

Personally, I seem to favour about 17.5 to 18mm. The common spacings all seem to lie between 16.5 and 19mm from what I've seen.[/quote]
+1

Good advice! I can't get on with the narrow spacings such as 17-18mm, prefering the slightly wider 19mm which my Roscoe Beck V has and so does the Fender Jazz USA 5.. Spectors and some Warwicks have quite a narrow string spacing from what I remember?

It'd be a good idea to list them all model by model as you suggest.

16mm is great for fast finger plucking, but it's a bit tight for slapping if you're as kack-handed as me. Over 18mm gets a bit wide for my liking, but it is probably a bit easier to get to grips with if you play with different techniques. I only really use finger plucking in live settings but I slap a bit for fun, it's not impossible with narrower spacing but it's a bit easier to make mistakes. I think 17mm/18mm is a decent middle ground, but I've never really spent much time finding out what suits me best - as I said I think it depends on what style of playing you use.

Hope that's some help!