Why become a member? ×

Cables: Rubber vs. Braided/Cloth Covered

Bret

I could really be setting myself up with this one but is there any difference between rubber and cloth covered instrument cables? I mean apart from the cloth ones getting dirty are there differences tonally? *wincing*

In my experience there's no tonal difference. I find cloth cables less flexible which is annoying at times.

The big difference is the cable itself. I did notice a big difference when I invested in a Pete Cornish cable (cloth) which actually did 'open up' the tone of the guitar (I didn't expect to hear a difference I should add). Unhappily the thickness of the cable became a problem and it failed after about 3 years.

I now use ClearTone cables (hand made by Stewart Ward, who is the man behind Session amps) and they are brilliant (and rubber). Same tonal characteristics -so far as my ears tell me.

There's absolutely a tonal difference. Braided cables seem to be able to deliver a punchier tone which I've never heard through a standard cable and they seem to hold together passive pickups better because the braiding has a tight weave. I've also found that ones with the springs on the jack plugs have better harmonics than those with rubber sleeves.

[quote name='heminder' timestamp='1362801863' post='2005042']
There's absolutely a tonal difference. Braided cables seem to be able to deliver a punchier tone which I've never heard through a standard cable and they seem to hold together passive pickups better because the braiding has a tight weave. I've also found that ones with the springs on the jack plugs have better harmonics than those with rubber sleeves.
[/quote]
That's so true and all the more so when you're playing with the machine head of your D string perfectly in line with the South Pole. ;)

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1362821129' post='2005132']

That's so true and all the more so when you're playing with the machine head of your D string perfectly in line with the South Pole. ;)
[/quote]

South Pole in relation to magnetic north or the other one?

[quote name='Bret' timestamp='1362903041' post='2005881']
South Pole in relation to magnetic north or the other one?
[/quote]

You jest, but CRT screens used to be set up to take into account where in the world they were going to be used.

I wonder if 'down-under' guitars are available? :lol: