Why become a member? ×

Boosting output from one amp to another amp

Hi Folks,

I use a GK 700RB with an SWR Triad which is great, but I've also got a seperate 300w power amp that I'd like to be able to use so that I can (very occasionally) drive an SWR 210 as well.

The Triad is a 4 ohm cab as is the 210, and that's too much in terms of ohms for my 700RB to cope with.. Hence the need to use the power amp if I want to run 2 x 4 ohm cabs..

So, I wondered if anyone has got any ideas as to what is the best way for me to drive the power amp at the input stage? As someone who knows more about these things than me said, I neede an input of approx 1 volt to get the best from the power amp??

Hope that makes sense and thanks for looking..

Cheers

Nik

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='205406' date='May 24 2008, 08:42 AM']Depends on the amp. Most amps have a pre-amp out or effects send that does not break the signal (parallel effects sent) so lead out of that and into the power amp. You would have to RTFM to find the output voltabe though.[/quote]
Sorry BF, being very thick this morning - whats RTFM?

The GK 700 has a variable DI out which I use to link to the band's PA and I did wonder if I could somehow split that signal and have a lead into the PA and one into the power amp?

Normally, I use the FX send to drive my Zoom B2 1u and I did try that out but found out that it's quite a low output signal, so that didn't work either.

One way I thought might easily work would be to use the DI out on the Zoom but that'd only be the sound of the Zoom going into power amp, as opposed to the e.q. from the GK which I really like...

So am now feeling a bit like 'Confused.com' of bit Littlehampton! :)

Hello mate!

I do believe RTFM is "[i]Read The F...ing Manual[/i]!"

Otherwise, I have used my Trace head both as a pre, taking the signal from the FX out, and as a power stage by feeding the signal from my pre into the FX return side of the loop. It [i]might[/i] be possible to introduce a device between the pre and power to increase the voltage a bit...
A volume pedal with a bit of gain or one of those SD pick-up boosters. It'd be good if you could measure the voltage to ensure you're not driving the power amp input too hard, though.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='205470' date='May 24 2008, 11:45 AM']Hello mate!

I do believe RTFM is "[i]Read The F...ing Manual[/i]!"

Otherwise, I have used my Trace head both as a pre, taking the signal from the FX out, and as a power stage by feeding the signal from my pre into the FX return side of the loop. It [i]might[/i] be possible to introduce a device between the pre and power to increase the voltage a bit...
A volume pedal with a bit of gain or one of those SD pick-up boosters. It'd be good if you could measure the voltage to ensure you're not driving the power amp input too hard, though.[/quote]

:) I should leave now really....!

Thanks for those ideas guy! Will ponder on this as I'm sitting watching the Pirates of f*****ng Penzance this afternoon at the theatre - will keep me awake!

Nick - it's a wierd, old Carlsbro 300w amp that I picked up off the Beedster..