Why become a member? ×

ello ello

anDy LAKIN

hi just thought id say hello as ive recently picked up a bass guitar to learn again (breifly played one in my college years) although i never fully learnt then.

I do have a few questions though, i have a deacon bass could anyone tell me exactly what the three knobs do (yes yes noob question but the guy at the shop werent too sure which they where either), are they for the individual pickups or bass and treble? or does anyone know the deacon website as i cant find it.

Also strings, can you get different types?

Hey Andy (I presume),

Welcome!
Don't know the Deacon, but often, three knobs means (from neck to ... er ... the other end)

Volume one pickup / Volume other pickup / Tone
or
Volume / Balance between pickups / Tone

Some turning and listening should now make this conclusive.

Strings come with a plethora of choices, and people are oft very attached to a certain sound and/or feel. I think the best you do now is browse through the categories on the site, and read some of the threads about strings, so you get an idea.
Questions are of course welcome whilst you try and divulge the info.

Enjoy the info, the discussion and the banter.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

Welcome, Andy! Bert covered everything nicely. Don't be afraid to ask questions OR use the Search function. Above all have fun! Find a favorite song that's easy and learn the tab. It will keep you from getting discouraged. If you do get discouraged just turn it up loud and bang away!!! Many of classic bands started that way.

I read somewhere that Jim Deacon and SX basses are [i]very [/i]similar or indeed the same animal - they're just branded differently.

[url="http://www.sxguitarspain.com/basses.htm"]http://www.sxguitars....com/basses.htm[/url]

Or I may have just dreamt it! :lol:[size=4] No doubt someone will confirm or deny in the fullness of time...[/size]

Edited by discreet