Why become a member? ×

Bass Microphone

4ropebottom

[quote name='4ropebottom' timestamp='1361338497' post='1984721']
Anyone use a microphone that attaches to the double bass? If so:
- which one?
- do you use the microphone only? Or do you mix the signal with a pickup?
- volume of the band? any insurmountable feedback problems?
[/quote]
I have the AMT/Applied Mic Tech' one. Only used it for a recording but excellent result.

I am no expert and after listening to live DBs, researching online and talking to bassists, I started with Piezo bridge pickups, and then moved on through an intense 9-month experimental period. I now use an AKG C 411 PP, a small condenser mic that attaches with re-usable black putty, I stuck it below the bridge after experimenting with other locations, as well as a Kent Armstrong magnetic pickup (upgraded from a Schaller). After trying 3 mixers, I settled on Bose ToneMatch and I am now happy. I don't get feedback problems (that were bad with piezo pickups I tried) and mixing the output from mag pickup and microphone give me a true DB sound at any on-stage volume I need. I play in jazz quartet (some arco passages) and R&B bands. I use Thomastik Spirocore medium strings (steel).

Interesting post Tim. Most of the jazz players I know are against magnetic pickups because they can make the double bass sound like an electric bass. But for you, mixed with the microphone, it apparently works!

Where does you microphone go? To the PA? Or an onstage amplifier? In other words, what is your entire signal path?

The DPA 4099 is a great mic, as is the Heil PR40 (although its a big ole beastie) - both can be great on db , but as ever with mics its placement thats the key, and with an instrument as big as a db getting a natural sound from a mic placed closer than the dimensions of the instrument is really tricky!

[quote name='4ropebottom' timestamp='1361803655' post='1991094']
Interesting post Tim. Most of the jazz players I know are against magnetic pickups because they can make the double bass sound like an electric bass. But for you, mixed with the microphone, it apparently works!

Where does you microphone go? To the PA? Or an onstage amplifier? In other words, what is your entire signal path?
[/quote]

The magnetic pickup on its own lacks character, overtones and acoustic resonances that constitute the DB's big sound. It doesn't work well for arco either. The AKG 411 PP mic on its own lacks the low-end weight and "thump", also brings feedback at high gain. When mixed correctly through the Bose ToneMatch, I put the master output from the ToneMatch into my Phil Jones Suitcase and for most gigs this is fine. I can get all the sounds the DB makes including fingerboard sounds. If I need more, then I put the auxiliary output from the ToneMatch through the main PA mixer into our 2x Bose L1 (plus 4 B1s) PA. Then, theoretically there is 1750W RMS to play with and a great, true as amplifying can ever be, DB sound. Expensive, rather, but better than piezo for me.

[quote name='spencer.b' timestamp='1361925331' post='1993319']
I use the dpa with a qsc k10 powered speaker on a stand, having it up on a stand is the key to getting enough level before it feeds back, I sometimes put the mic thru an amp and it sounds good but does feedback if you try and crank it
[/quote]

Spencer.b: how do you eq the powered speaker?

• 2 weeks later...

Years ago I tested a whole load of mics to find the one I liked best (in my price range), and settled for a Sennheiser e609. I used it now and again for rough and ready recordings but hardly ever live. Engineers have often been impressed with it.

Then last year I got myself one of these:
http://exploraudio.com/categories/bass-mount-standard-/11/
- it's based on a luthiers clamp (or cramp?), but with an adjustable boom attachment to hold whatever mic you chose and position it wherever you like relative to bridge, f-holes etc. I have used this setup live regularly for several months and like it a lot, but for now have gone back to my Underwood/Plat Pro combination because of the control I get from the preamp, which doesn't have an xlr in for the mic (yes, I know I could get an xlr to jack cable...). My intended solution is a 2-channel Headway preamp so I can use both pick up and mic and blend the two. Might be worth mentioning that I mainly slap, material from the '40s & '50s.