Why become a member? ×

Any Guild experts here?

BetaFunk

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1361123336' post='1981402']
Here's one

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/74-Guild-JSII-JS2-Vintage-Bass-Guitar-Oak-Detail-w-OHSC-ALL-ORIGINAL-/230928231973?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item35c4652e25"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item35c4652e25[/url]
[/quote]
I wish that you hadn't done that as it's only a couple of miles from where i live :rolleyes:

I have owned a Guild M85 II bass, which is essentially the same bass, but with a Les Paul body shape (instead of the offset SG shape).
It is short scale, all mahogany with a set neck. They are rare as hen's teeth.
Earlier models had two Hägstrom pickups. Decennia later these Hägstrom pickup would be copied under the name DarkStar. They were very popular among connaisseurs.
This model in the auction however, has the less desirable Guild humbuckers.

It is a nice bass for pop music. But I found it too meek for (heavy) rock music.

Edited by Basvarken

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1361124067' post='1981416']
Sorry ;)
[/quote]
I do appreciate your link but it could cost me a lot of money.

I've been repeating this since seeing it.................."I Do Not Need Another Bass" and repeat......"I Do Not Need Another Bass".................................. :D

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1361124460' post='1981422']

I do appreciate your link but it could cost me a lot of money.

I've been repeating this since seeing it.................."I Do Not Need Another Bass" and repeat......"I Do Not Need Another Bass".................................. :D
[/quote]

YOU DO NOT NEED ANOTHER BASS! There my conscious is clear :)

anyway the one on ebay is too expensive.
there also was a longscale version of the js available, but if also with the acorns I don't know. it was the equivalent to the gibson eb (right?) series, also available as guitars (equivalent to gibson sg) but the guild humbuckers are superior to the muddy gibson pickups, infact justin meldal johnson prefers them to the later dark stars made by frank hammon - he plays a starfire bass reissue from the 90ies woth these humbuckers. unfortunately the longscale version usually had a neck dive, if I remember right.

[quote name='krysh' timestamp='1361131034' post='1981606']
anyway the one on ebay is too expensive.
there also was a longscale version of the js available, but if also with the acorns I don't know. it was the equivalent to the gibson eb (right?) series, also available as guitars (equivalent to gibson sg) but the guild humbuckers are superior to the muddy gibson pickups, infact justin meldal johnson prefers them to the later dark stars made by frank hammon - he plays a starfire bass reissue from the 90ies woth these humbuckers. unfortunately the longscale version usually had a neck dive, if I remember right.
[/quote]
From what i've seen on the internet i don't think it's far off what these go for. I often look on a Guild forum (i have a Guild Pilot) and these JS-2 basses have been advertised in the U.S. for $1500. Whether they get that much of course i don't know.
There are two Jetstar JS-2 basses advertised by UK dealers at the moment for £1100 and £1500 so the one on ebay doesn't seem overpriced.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1361136205' post='1981758']
From what i've seen on the internet i don't think it's far off what these go for. I often look on a Guild forum (i have a Guild Pilot) and these JS-2 basses have been advertised in the U.S. for $1500. Whether they get that much of course i don't know.
There are two Jetstar JS-2 basses advertised by UK dealers at the moment for £1100 and £1500 so the one on ebay doesn't seem overpriced.
[/quote]
since I am a moderator on [url="http://www.letstalkguild.com"]www.letstalkguild.com[/url] my suggestion is US$ 800-900 for a good js even with acorns is more realistic, but of course you have to be patient. ;)

[quote name='krysh' timestamp='1361137232' post='1981774']
since I am a moderator on [url="http://www.letstalkguild.com"]www.letstalkguild.com[/url] my suggestion is US$ 800-900 for a good js even with acorns is more realistic, but of course you have to be patient. ;)
[/quote]
I've found that what is dollars in the U.S. we pay in Pounds in the U.K. so the £900 on ebay sounds about right. Also after paying $800-900 for one in the U.S. and importing it to the U.K. it's going to cost about £900 after shipping, insurance and tax.

I agree about being patient though as i bought a 1983 Pilot Bass in a London guitar shop not long ago for what i still reckon was an excellent price.

[quote name='krysh' timestamp='1361137232' post='1981774']
[/quote]
I must say that the www.letstalkguild.com forum was invaluable when i bought my Guild Pilot. Lots of people helped me out with info so thanks.