Why become a member? ×

Vibrating strings on Headstock

Dr Chocolate

Whenever I play my main bass the strings on the headstock vibrate and it's really annoying!!

I'm currently using a "fretwrap" to try and dull them and I know a "string tree" would probably fix it but I don't want to screw anything into it's beautiful headstock.

I did see a fellow bassist have a plastic string tree on a stingray but alas I never got to ask him where he got it from.

Has anybody got any ideas where I might get one from?

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1360670641' post='1974192']
Hmm, obvious stuff first, have you wound the string far enough down the post? Does the vibration stop if you press on the portion of the string between the nut and the tuner? Is it just one string, or some/all of them?
[/quote]
[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1360670836' post='1974198']
is it the strings or the tuners rattling? The strings should be under tension at this point?
[/quote]

It's all the strings and they stop if I hold them down just after the nut, but maybe you're right, the strings could go about a mm lower on all the pegs. Do you think that would be the culprit?

[quote name='Dr Chocolate' timestamp='1360671866' post='1974229']
It's all the strings and they stop if I hold them down just after the nut, but maybe you're right, the strings could go about a mm lower on all the pegs. Do you think that would be the culprit?
[/quote]

Yes. Fender Precisions also get this on the A quite a bit, so have encountered this a fair bit myself. Lowering the strings as far as they can go, and making sure you don`t have too many windings (2 or 3 max) round the pegs should prevent this.

[quote name='Dr Chocolate' timestamp='1360671866' post='1974229']
[/quote] downward tension is your friend. rewind the strings on and have them exiting the string post as low as possible. The bigger break angle over the nut will probably improve the way your bass plays/sounds too slightly

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1360672691' post='1974251']
Yes. Fender Precisions also get this on the A quite a bit, so have encountered this a fair bit myself. Lowering the strings as far as they can go, and making sure you don`t have too many windings (2 or 3 max) round the pegs should prevent this.
[/quote] or use more windings to force the string lower down the tuner also has worked for me, esp on the E string