Why become a member? ×

Mesa boogie Walkabout head.

jazzyvee

I have just encountered a problem with my mesa boogie head.
I did a gig with it on Friday and it was fine no problems. Today i was just starting my practice session and initially the volume was fine, then all of a sudden it dropped to about 50% volume, started crackling and giving a distorted sound then a few seconds later it was back up to normal sound.

I wondered if it was due to battery going flat so tried another bass that has fresh batteries in and the same thing happened after a few seconds of playing.

Any ideas?

Jazzyvee

I got some information about my mesa boogie amp from a guy who makes/repairs and modifies valve amps and apparently the old mesa boogie amp I have is one of the earlier ones, ( it has two inputs whilst the new ones have one input and a switch for active/passive basses. Anyway the problem apparently is in the send and return circuit and he advised me to check this by bypassing the internal switches by plugging a short patch cable between the send and return jacks. I did that and bingo, got a full clean signal again. So this means I will need to open the back and clean the contacts on the jacks or just keep the patch cable. I never use effects so that wont be a problem.

Jazzyvee

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1361203775' post='1982689']
How long did have yours before it got replaced? I have had mine almost 10 years so unlikely they would replace it now for a newer model.

Jazzyvee
[/quote]

Good point. As I recall mine was only about 6 months old when it started going tits up.