Why become a member? ×

Android app idea

andydye

I have 60 or 70 songs (chords & words) in pdf format that I use for reference during our sets, I'd like to start using my samsung tablet rather than printing the sheets out and carrying a large folder of paper so here's the app idea...

I have a folder on my memory card containing all of the pdf's;
The app looks at that folder and populates a list of all the pdf titles;
I select the songs in today's set (in order) and save that as a setlist;
During the set the app brings up the relevant pdf (preventing the device from sleeping);
moving to the next song is by swiping/tapping the screen;
there's a 'during the set' menu available to modify the set to accomodate ad-hoc changes;

My current alternatives are to...
create a gig specific pdf of all the song sheets but this doesn't allow for ad-hoc set changes, or,
I can spend a few moments inbetween songs (when I should be changing bass or f/x settings) faffing to find the next pdf via the folder list on my tablet, or,
ditch the tablet idea and carry on with the folder of flappy paper!

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1360332024' post='1968772']
I have an app called Documents2. This is linked to my drop box. I can then download pdf's from my dropbox. So I make a pdf with the songlist I want and download it to ipad.Swipe from page to page as required.
[/quote]

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1360332337' post='1968789']
Just realised you want it for Android. Have a look at "Documents to go"
[url="https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dataviz.docstogo&hl=en"]https://play.google.....docstogo&hl=en[/url]
[/quote]

hhmmm, I have pdf reading software it's the next part of the function that's missing from them all...I have all the pdf's (one per song) already on mem card, what I want to be able to do is to create (and save) just the setlist in the app (based on the app compiling a list of the pdf titles in the song folder) and then for the app to open each indivual pdf in turn (and in the right order) rather than me having to go and find each one at the end of the song...

does that make sense? I know in my head what I want it to do but describing it in words doesn't seem that easy (today)

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1360333566' post='1968833']
does that make sense? I know in my head what I want it to do but describing it in words doesn't seem that easy (today)
[/quote]

can't help with the solution but I would say you want to create a 'playlist' of .pdfs as you would in media player etc.

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1360333861' post='1968844']
Don't use android but is this not what you want?
[url="https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zubersoft.mobilesheets"]https://play.google....ft.mobilesheets[/url]
[/quote]

Lots of good features but it's another app where I'd have to reinput all of the songs into their format, I want one that takes a pdf that's already made (std universal format) so I don't have to recreate 70 files.

Doesn't look like it does the set list thing either

[quote name='Steve G' timestamp='1360334316' post='1968852']
can't help with the solution but I would say you want to create a 'playlist' of .pdfs as you would in media player etc.
[/quote]

succinct and precisely what I meant to say! ta matey!!

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1360334321' post='1968853']

Lots of good features but it's another app where I'd have to reinput all of the songs into their format, I want one that takes a pdf that's already made (std universal format) so I don't have to recreate 70 files.

Doesn't look like it does the set list thing either
[/quote]

It's a universal PDF reader that you just import your files into, don't get what's so hard about that?

And the 6th tab on the bottom, first picture.

http://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/about.html

Song Metadata

MobileSheets allows you to create songs using image files or pdfs. These files can be on the tablet (including images taken with the tablet camera), or imported from your PC using the companion app. Each song in your library has a title, artist, album, instrument, difficulty, source type, and audio file, allowing you to enter as little or as much detail as you want to organize your library. You can also select sections of pdf files to create songs from, allowing you to break up one pdf file into multiple songs in your library.

Edited by JakeBrownBass

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1360335817' post='1968892']
It's a universal PDF reader that you just import your files into, don't get what's so hard about that?

And the 6th tab on the bottom, first picture.

[url="http://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/about.html"]http://www.zubersoft...eets/about.html[/url]

Song Metadata

MobileSheets allows you to create songs using image files or pdfs. These files can be on the tablet (including images taken with the tablet camera), or imported from your PC using the companion app. Each song in your library has a title, artist, album, instrument, difficulty, source type, and audio file, allowing you to enter as little or as much detail as you want to organize your library. You can also select sections of pdf files to create songs from, allowing you to break up one pdf file into multiple songs in your library.
[/quote]

Awesome! That does look v good indeed! Can't believe I missed the super important bits when trying to read it before! Thanks matey (and thanks for patiently pointing out what you'd seen last time too!), I'll have a closer read about it.

[b]Mobilesheets[/b] is [i]precisely [/i]what I was looking for!

the only slight improvement Icould see for it (so far) is in the editing of set lists, it'd be good to be able to drag and drop songs around in the set list rather than having to make a new one

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1360336041' post='1968898']
Awesome! That does look v good indeed! Can't believe I missed the super important bits when trying to read it before! Thanks matey (and thanks for patiently pointing out what you'd seen last time too!), I'll have a closer read about it.
[/quote]

No worries dude, hope everything is sorted for you!