Why become a member? ×

Yamaha THR amp

mart

This is a bit of a long shot, but I'm thinking of getting one of these for playing guitar when jamming with a couple of friends at lowish volumes (no drums, just strummed acoustic guitars). And I see it has a bass setting, so I wondered if anyone had tried putting a bass through it. Obviously it's not going to have much headroom, but I'm wondering if it could compete with an acoustic guitar for a practice? Anybody tried it?

I don't see why it couldn't be used for bass then (as you note, it has a "Bass" setting), but I'd give it a try first against some other small combos in that price range.
I'm taking it you do mean the bigger of the 2 combos?

Oddly, in your avatar your mando looks like a Tbird & you look like a furry rat. :)

The settings are "tuned", and the specific "bass" setting is possibly the best for playing bass, but it also sounds pretty good on the "crunch" setting, and maybe a little louder/fuller through the "acoustic" setting. As for volume, it competes quite well with acoustic guitars in a home setting, but it would never compete in a rehearsal space with drums/electric guitars.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1360147261' post='1965472']
The settings are "tuned", and the specific "bass" setting is possibly the best for playing bass, but it also sounds pretty good on the "crunch" setting, and maybe a little louder/fuller through the "acoustic" setting. As for volume, it competes quite well with acoustic guitars in a home setting, but it would never compete in a rehearsal space with drums/electric guitars.
[/quote]
Thanks, that's exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to hear. I'm always playing at the quieter end of things, so it sounds like it would probably just about cope. Cheers.

I bought one a couple of weeks back, needed something quieter for home as I am now practising in the room directly underneath my two year olds bedroom.

It is a great little amp, doubles up very well as a speaker for mp3 players. The aux in with volume control is really useful and there are effects on board

Thanks; I've got my ipod connected up to my main stereo so I can't see using it for that, but I suppose it'll be handy for playing along to stuff. Somehow it always feels better when the backing track and my playing are coming from the same speaker(s).

• 4 weeks later...

I bought one of these a month or so ago and I cannot rate it highly enough. As a practice amp I really cannot see how anything can beat it in the price range. It's not going to complete with an über rig but that isn't what it's for. I play both bass and guitar and it has rendered my other amps redundant. Expect to see my bass amp for sale soon.