Why become a member? ×

1971 Fender Jazz Bass — Parts advice needed.

q_of_doom

I have recently picked up a 1971 Fender Jazz bass that happened across my path as a box of parts.

The restoration is all but complete, except for the pickup covers that are in a terrible state and a tortoise shell pickguard that looks like it didn't make it across the road.

Some pickup covers in the Fender catalogue are sold as vintage and I assume they are for the 1973 upwards, when the pickup moved closer to the bridge? is there a difference in size in the covers?

Also, I'm after an 11-hole, 3-ply tortoise shell and there seems to be a few options from Fender themselves. Some are sold as '62 reissues with the recess for the truss rod, some claiming to be nitrocellulose.

I'd rather avoid the nitrocellulose plates since they had a tendency to release a corrosive gas over years, shrink and turn brittle and they were replaced with vinyl from 1965 onwards.

Does anyone know of the correct part numbers or simply how I can go about ordering the right ones? The Fender importers that I've spoken to were friendly and eager to help, but looked at me with the eyes of a fish long dead when I asked them these questions.

I'm not based in the U.K. anymore, so I'll be ordering stateside. I'm just hoping to avoid the pitfalls of ill-fitting parts by consulting with the esteemed anoraks on this forum.

Edited by q_of_doom