Why become a member? ×

Greetings from a Newbie

toomey7

Hi,

I'm new on here and just wanted to get this first post out of the way.

I've been playing bass now for about 10 years, during which I was a member of a small Irish band for about 5 years but that ended on musical differences (I was musical and they were just different). I play mainly because I love the instrument now and for my own enjoyment.

As far as gear goes, it's not exactly high end stuff but it's what suits me. I have a Yamaha RBX270J which I bought about 5 years ago and have since been constantly tweaking and upgrading. However I am now at the stage when I want to find something new so I am in for any recommendations people may have. My amp is an Ashdown Electric Blue 180, only really used for home use but can pack a punch for gigs if needed.

I am currently quite into Mark King and am trying my hand at his techniques (with limited success) but I like to keep my playing in all areas of music, it's more fun that way.

And that's about it for now.

Hey Toomey,

Welcome!
Yup, it's out of the way. Your first success on this site. Congrats. ;)

As to ideas for a new bass, there's thousands of good people with tens of thousands of good ideas, so I think you'd do well if you specified a little what you're after, especially budgetwise, but also as to number of strings and even sound (even though some people keep telling sound is in your fingers).

The TBX270 is highly regarded around here, and one can easily find something really good in the same price range or even cheaper.
Squier for example do a Jaguar in 30 or so inch scale in their Vintage Modified (VM) series, and it has received good feedback. Clearly cheaper than an RBX270.
People's recommendations here and my own eyes (not ears, admittedly and noobly) made me go for another set of Squiers from their Classic Vibe (you guessed it: CV) series. Well built, good sounding rough representations of classic Precisions and Jazzes.
Then there are loads of fantastic Yamahas (eg BB series), Ibanezes (eg SR300 or above), RockBasses, .... you name it!

Aske and thou shalt be answered.

Enjoy the site!

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

Welcome aboard the good ship 'Chat!

It seems that Basstractor, Discreet and I have become the self appointed welcome committee here, so you should feel touched :D (don't read anything into that).

My current amps are an ashdown ABM 400 rack head (sounds great) and an SWR Silverado 4x8 combo (also sounds great). They both would hold their own in a mid sized venue, and have a DI out, so they can be DI'd straight into the PA, but i mainly just use them for practice and recording.

Have fun :D

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1359835223' post='1961038']
It seems that Basstractor, Discreet and I have become the self appointed welcome committee here
[/quote]

Bad science! You forgot Leen. Read up on epistomology and metabletics!
That and source material.

best,
bert