Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass Onboard Preamp

N64Lover

Hi all. I have been let down a bit lately by the tone from my jazz bass. The output is a bit low and with the bridge pickup soloed it is sounding a little bit thin. I was thinking that an onboard preamp could solve my problems. I have been thinking about the Bartolini NTBT, the Aguilar OBP-2 and the East J-Retro. Does anyone have experience with any of these?

My bass currently has Bartolini 9Js, and I am mostly happy with the tone except what I mentioned above.

[quote name='N64Lover' timestamp='1359398770' post='1954215']
Hi all. I have been let down a bit lately by the tone from my jazz bass. The output is a bit low and with the bridge pickup soloed it is sounding a little bit thin. I was thinking that an onboard preamp could solve my problems. I have been thinking about the Bartolini NTBT, the Aguilar OBP-2 and the East J-Retro. Does anyone have experience with any of these?

My bass currently has Bartolini 9Js, and I am mostly happy with the tone except what I mentioned above.
[/quote]

Are you sure the pickups are wired up and installed properly ? A decent Jazz Bass with Bartolini pickups should sound a bit more robust than you describe , even without a preamp . I would recommend sorting out the passive sound before adding a preamp .

Strange, I would have thought a passive jazz would have more than enough oomph, unless your amp is a bit duff? The only bass I have played where I really felt it needed a hotter output to be useful was in fact a stunningly expensive F-Bass! In any event, I have always found Bartolini preamps to be very good. If you do decide to go down that route I would think you'll enjoy the active Bart sound. It's one I keep coming back to!

I have the same setup in both of my jazz basses, and output is the same on both of them. I have read elsewhere that the 9Js have quite a low output (as I found out today, lower than a Squier with stock pickups!).

Don't get me wrong, the tone isn't terrible as I have been using it for about 5 years. But I think I need something with a bit more punch, and more flexibility onboard would be nice.

I know some really good people who are total experts when it comes to matching pickups and pre-amps to specific briefs. They are based in the US but I know a way to import through them that usually matches most UK suppliers and it's completely legit with taxes and duties paid :)

If you zap me a PM with as much detail as possible about what you're after I can explain more :)