Why become a member? ×

Phil Jones 6B or C4 replacement for Trace 4x10? advice please

klaw123

Hi all, I'd like to ask for your sage wisdom abount replacing my Trace Elliot 1048 Bass Cab.

I think i need to replace my Trace cab because of weight and portability problems and I'm looking for something smaller and lighter. I use a Trace AH100 amp and am very pleased with it when coupled with the cab. It handles my agressive playing style on both 4 and 5 string basses with no problems, tone and texture are perfect for me. The Trace cab cuts thru the drums and guitars when the amp is cooking well.

I'm seriously considering changing my cab to a Phil Jones Bass model, either a C4 400w 8ohm cab (really small 4x5) OR the 6B model which has the new lightweight Neo speakers but a lower 300w rating at 6ohms.

I'd like to know if I would be making a good choice to replace my 4x10 by investing in Phil Jones, and which cab would be best? I'd love to keep the Tracy tone from my amp if possible.

Any advice /pointers would be very welcome.

Many thanks

I`ve not used any Phil Jones products, but I think I`d be dubious about such small cabs - dependent on the volume of the band I was in that is. I think I`d be more looking into 210s, or pairs of 112s, especially if playing a fiver.

• 6 months later...

How did you get on with this? I used to have a 4B with the Piranha 5in speakers but found that it didnt have the oomph that I needed. Then I bought two of the 6B's with the Neo speakers and the built in amp, and I hardly ever use both of them. I play in an 8 piece sould band and the bass has to be loud and deep. Just ONE of my 6B's does the job perfectly.