Why become a member? ×

Overwater Perception 5 build.

rk7

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1360399411' post='1969729']
This is one seriously handsome bass. Not usually my sort of thing being more into P basses these days but got to say I love this.

Please can I visit if I ever get myself back up to Cumbria :)
[/quote]

Yes Gary, of course you can visit, PM me when you are in the area and we'll get the kettle on!

RK

Hey Gary, its a small world.

I was born (at an early age) in Egremont, heh heh, and we drove through Bothel on the way back from our Overwater visit last Saturday!

Also, nearby and confusingly, theres a place called Overwater, although its nothing to do with the bass-builders. Sadly, on our trip last week, I took a pic of the road sign.

This is worryingly close to writing down the numbers on the front of trains. However, if anyone has a pic of a signpost for 'Fender' or ........

thank you please

RK

p.s. signs to Warwick don't count!

Edited by rk7

[quote name='rk7' timestamp='1360401462' post='1969757']
I'm really looking forward to seeing the lacquer applied. Martin does a 'magic trick' during wood selection, where he pours alcohol/thinners on the pieces and the full grain is revealed. Both the Ziricote and the Wenge look amazing when this is done so I can't wait for Finishing!
[/quote]

I'm a real sucker for wood finishes. :)

I'd describe that as gorgeous already but if Martin has yet to do his magic tricks and get the final finish on I'm gonna have to find a whole new word!

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1360018494' post='1963763']
This has been a fantastic build diary. Looking forward to seeing he finished instrument!

I too was unaware that Overwater build a thru neck Preception. Wished I knew that back when I ordered my Progress III, but that was 10yrs ago so things might have changed since then. Much prefer the smaller size of the Perception body.
[/quote]

'Borrowed' this pic from the Overwater Basses FB page, showing both through-neck Perceptions in their build stage just now. Blonde and Brunette, as Martin puts it, heh heh.

[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/34g58c2.jpg[/IMG]

The figuring on the topwood on the lighter one is wonderful. I'll get a better pic direct from Martin.

RK

Todays update from the good Mr Lee!

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/5cylol.jpg[/IMG]

Body reliefs for individual Hipshot Bridge pieces! Woo-hoo!
And a spot of sanding too. Body is looking fantastic.

[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/1z2gfw1.jpg[/IMG]

And another pic of the same, because Martin sent me two!

thank you please

RK

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1361232718' post='1983369']
It just gets better and better. :)

Have you got any idea of how much longer [s]we[/s] <cough> you have to go before it's finished?
[/quote]

Martin tells me it will be 2 - 3 weeks now. All the woodwork is now complete.

I imagine there will be more pics when the finish has been applied, and then some more when the build is concluded, and then a final pic of me with the worlds widest grin on the day I collect it! ha ha. (Although Angie and I are in Carlisle later this week so a bass visit is on the cards!)

Timescales depend on the other work on the books at Overwater, I know Martin has a number of basses in production at the moment.

RK

Martin tells me it will be 2 - 3 weeks now. All the woodwork is now complete.

I imagine there will be more pics when the finish has been applied, and then some more when the build is concluded, and then a final pic of me with the worlds widest grin on the day I collect it! ha ha. (Although I will be in Carlisle later this week so a bass visit is on the cards!)

Timescales depend on the other work on the books at Overwater, I know Martin has a number of basses in production at the moment.

RK

Btw, If I am ever in the Leicester area I'll show you the bass if you wish. Likewise if you find yourself 'oop North' any time let me know! Edited by rk7

Thank You Dr!

I'm really pleased with the positive reaction on BC. Everyone seems to like the bass, and is very complimentary about it. I wasn't sure what to expect when I started the thread, but the response has been brilliant.

I spoke with Martin today on another matter, and he says the finish will be applied by the end of the week. Then it will be picture time again!

thanks again for your comments

RK

[quote name='Dr Chocolate' timestamp='1361283032' post='1983833']
I've never been much of an Overwater fan, but I'm fully converted now!!!

That is going to be absolutely stunning!!

I've actually got goosebumps for you!
[/quote]

I've always had a little bit of a 'thing' for them, but this one... I know what you mean by goosebumps! :)

[quote name='rk7' timestamp='1361265071' post='1983505']
Btw, If I am ever in the Leicester area I'll show you the bass if you wish. Likewise if you find yourself 'oop North' any time let me know!
[/quote]

Absolutely mate.

You might need a crowbar handy to make me let go though... :D

More pics!

Top, first sanding done and first lacquer applied, woo-hoo!

The back. With 'moob' cut-out!

Back, but the skinny end!

Bridge pieces, they're Hipshot and they're individual.

The pics don't do justice to the work the boys have done, the bass is truly lovely. Whilst visiting, I sat with the bass 'in place'. Martins advice on scale length and his work shaping the back of the bass make it feel so comfortable. I'm a lucky boy!

thank you please!

RK