Why become a member? ×

Whats this?

Tait

does anybody know what this body might be? its a sunburst jazz body with two humbuckers like the ones on tele basses (or the squier vintage modified tele bass). I'm on work experience at a music shop and the drum teacher there (who also plays bass) found it for really cheap and was planning on doing a project. im not too bothered, just a little interested as ive never seen one like this before. anyone know what it is?

it came with a jazz neck (rosewood fretboard with block inlays. i think it had binding, too, but im not 100% sure) that had a fender shaped headstock but no brand. it also had a pickguard that was normal jazz shaped but made to fit the pickups, and electronics that didnt work.

Edited by lwtait

Some of the early JapCrap Jazz copies had pickups different to "proper" Jazz types, so this is what I'm thinking - the rosewood/blocks style neck would support this, 75% of JapCrap Jazzes had these - the other 25% were maple with black blocks!

I'm not sure what sort of pickups you're describing here - do you mean the big square Gibson EB3 mudbucker sort?

Any chance you could get some photos? Pics of the neck/headstock would help too, if you could get them.

Jon.

hmmmm... probably couldnt get photos. as i said, im on work experience and its my "boss's" bass, so i can hardly ask him if i can photograph it to post it on the internet cos i've been talking about it. i'll photoshop a picture of what i mean though, ill try to get it as close as possible. and yes, the pickup is like the one on gibson EB3s and EB0s.

and i was thinking old japcrap, too.

EDIT: ok, ive dont the photoshop (not very well).

if it was put together it would look something like this. except the pickguard has a funny design painted on (not sure if thats original or not)

[attachment=8834:jbass.jpg]

Edited by lwtait

[quote name='lwtait' post='202358' date='May 19 2008, 06:57 PM']hmmmm... probably couldnt get photos. as i said, im on work experience and its my "boss's" bass, so i can hardly ask him if i can photograph it to post it on the internet cos i've been talking about it.[/quote]
No harm in askin' imo. If he's a bit of a bass geek he'd probably be interested to know it's being discussed on a bass forum - and he might well want to know what it is himself.

I've never seen a JapCrap J with pups like those, I must admit - I thought it might be ones more like this:

[attachment=8837:pupsurround.jpg]

These are quite small, about the size of a mini-humbucker on a g*it*r, but were quite common on older Jap J's & P's as well as other basses. Despite the two rows of pole pieces they're not actually humbuckers.

Never seen a 70s Jap J with big 'buckers - but that doesn't mean they didn't make them!

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='202503' date='May 19 2008, 11:11 PM']No harm in askin' imo. If he's a bit of a bass geek he'd probably be interested to know it's being discussed on a bass forum - and he might well want to know what it is himself.

I've never seen a JapCrap J with pups like those, I must admit - I thought it might be ones more like this:

[attachment=8837:pupsurround.jpg]

These are quite small, about the size of a mini-humbucker on a g*it*r, but were quite common on older Jap J's & P's as well as other basses. Despite the two rows of pole pieces they're not actually humbuckers.

Never seen a 70s Jap J with big 'buckers - but that doesn't mean they didn't make them!

J.[/quote]

they seemed bigger than that, but im not 100% so ill have a lok tommorow. he's not a bass geek, hes not very good, hes much more of a drummer. i think he just fancied doing one up.

how are they not humbuckers if they have two rows of pole pieces? have they only got 1 coil or something?

[quote name='lwtait' post='203134' date='May 20 2008, 06:47 PM']they seemed bigger than that, but im not 100% so ill have a lok tommorow. he's not a bass geek, hes not very good, hes much more of a drummer. i think he just fancied doing one up.

how are they not humbuckers if they have two rows of pole pieces? have they only got 1 coil or something?[/quote]
They're probably not wired as humbuckers, am i right in thinking humbuckers in parallel and single coil in series? If so those two rows of pole pieces are probably just wired in series but in a case to look like a humbucker.

[quote name='lwtait' post='203134' date='May 20 2008, 06:47 PM']how are they not humbuckers if they have two rows of pole pieces? have they only got 1 coil or something?[/quote]
Spot on:

[attachment=8855:pupcoveroff.jpg]

Pull it apart a bit more, and it does this:

[attachment=8856:pupexploded.jpg]

Here's the same pup in an Ibanez parts catalogue: [url="http://www.ibanez.ru/info/catalog/1976-10/12.jpg"]http://www.ibanez.ru/info/catalog/1976-10/12.jpg[/url] - this shows it on a T-bird copy but it was fitted on Ps, Js, Rickenfakers (which is why I have one) and numerous others from various manufacturers.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='203284' date='May 20 2008, 09:50 PM']Here's the same pup in an Ibanez parts catalogue: [url="http://www.ibanez.ru/info/catalog/1976-10/12.jpg"]http://www.ibanez.ru/info/catalog/1976-10/12.jpg[/url] - this shows it on a T-bird copy but it was fitted on Ps, Js, Rickenfakers (which is why I have one) and numerous others from various manufacturers.[/quote]

actually, i'd say the pups are more like on that les paul bass copy.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='203157' date='May 20 2008, 07:10 PM']They're probably not wired as humbuckers, am i right in thinking humbuckers in parallel and single coil in series? If so those two rows of pole pieces are probably just wired in series but in a case to look like a humbucker.[/quote]

The difference between humbuckers and single coils is the number of coils. Humbuckers have two coils which are wired with the opposite polarity, which cancels any interference. They can be wired in series or parallel, which affects the tone they produce but doesn't affect their interference rejection.

Single coil pickups are just that - one coil which can't be wired in series or parallel because there's no other coil to wire it in series/parallel with. :)

*Edit for factual inaccuracy!

Edited by Musky