Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz crackle

dmccombe7

I know this has probably been done before but its a 2 part query,

I have a crackling sound from my pickguard when i rub it with my fingers. I've reduced it considerably by putting a layer of tinfoil below it and earthing it thru the metal pot plate. Still there, altho minor, but its more noticeable with hi-mid treble boost. It sounds very like static. I've checked the bass with a multimeter and earth is fine thru the bass.
Is it down to type of pick-guard or is it that the pick-ups are the problem.

That's the first part the second part :-
If its the pick-ups what replacements would you recommend to keep the sound as close to the originals and remove this problem.

Cheers
Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

Are you talking about the scratchplate? If you are, there shouldn't be any electrical noise from it as it's plastic. When you remove the scratchplate and plug your bass in can you reproduce the noise? Maybe it's the scratchplate moving against the neck pickup when you rub it, which may have a loose connection?

Our guitarist had a similar problem and it turned out to be static. This with a plastic scratchplate. He [i]very [/i]lightly abraded the pg to give it a slightly matte finish and that solved the problem. Turns out his fingers rubbing on the shiny pg was creating static.

Edited by discreet

Definately sounds more like static. If i rub any other part of the bass its fine. Its only the plastic scratchplate.
I'll double check that its not rubbing against the pick up altho i'm pretty sure its fixed quite solid as i check screws and things first.

It became more noticeable when i bought the GB amp and Berg cabs which have a very high end accuracy and seems to amplify every little noise.

I'll take the plate off and see if it disappears completely. If that solves it i'll look into alternative scratchplates or maybe even try the light rub down as Discreet mentioned.

Dave