Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot

vicar

loved my 4x10 combo,,never had as many compliments about my sound since!,,and what is it about everone wanting light gear,,would hate to be in a band with someone who wont help carry the pa and all the gear in because its too heavy!!

A cab is more than just the sum of the speakers put in it. Dimensions, bracing, porting, materials, crossovers....all go a long way to giving the final tone. Then of course fashion enters the mix, personally I bought my 4 x 12 from the factory in Essex not only because I loved the sound of it but because it was green :)

I have to agree with a lot of the other posts though, I haven't seen TE gear go for reasonable money in a considerable time....personally I think the (IMO) rubbish they put out after leaving these shores has damaged the resale value and name. Although some demos of the brand new models sound like a definite step in the right direction.

I took my old Trace 15” cabinet apart. Thick MDF, simple square edge to edge butt joins, no internal bracing or acoustic wadding at all.
Plus one Celestion C15H-200 marked 'Custom made for Trace Elliot'

I thought it sounded great and the speaker seemingly indestructible but it was just another simple box - made to right volume with the correct ports of course but absolutely nothing special about the construction.

[quote name='Martin E' timestamp='1359062339' post='1949404']
I took my old Trace 15” cabinet apart. Thick MDF, simple square edge to edge butt joins, no internal bracing or acoustic wadding at all.
Plus one Celestion C15H-200 marked 'Custom made for Trace Elliot'

I thought it sounded great and the speaker seemingly indestructible but it was just another simple box - made to right volume with the correct ports of course but absolutely nothing special about the construction.
[/quote]

Probably not a one handed lift though.

• 2 months later...

Well as heavy as TE gear is, it seems to be literally built with war in mind, these cabs will outlive their owners, something which has added value!

Has anyone considered butchering a TE cab and redesign it as to speak? Replace some of the weight with something lighter? Neodymium drivers/different braces etc??

Might shave off some kg and move it down an insurance bracket ...

Yes I made a copy of my TE 15" cabinet but in thinner ply instead of MDF using the same speaker and ports. Even with some internal bracing and wadding it was much lighter and sounded just the same. I noted that there would have been little to gain by replacing the driver which was not that heavy anyway and only a fraction of the whole weight of the cabinet.

Trace Elliot gear is still ridiculously expensive over here. Second hand prices can be as high as €800+ for a head and 4x10.
Having said that, I picked up a gp 12 smx 4x10 combo at the weekend for 250 notes, score!

Boom.

So did I

http://imgur.com/fpzuTyX

So friggin heavy though! I could lift it..but couldn't go very far with it without panting/heaving/grunting.

I got it to my destination of choice and immediately drilled some castors onto this behemoth of an amp.

I like.