Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fender Blacktop tone

simononstyle

This is a very basic question for this type of forum ..but I've finally bought Fender P Blacktop and looked forward to plugging away at some punk stuff but find while the E is deep and nasty sounding the rest of the strings seem totally different and "ringy".
Would buying new strings fix this and if so which strings are best? If I turn the tone right down It seems to help but might be losing some sound..
Maybe I'm just not used to the sound yet as my old Westone was ancient..has anyone any gripes with their blacktops or are they the dogs..as I thought ??

I`ve found that the stock strings on Fenders are way too thin & zingy for my liking. Everyone will no doubt suggest their faves, and I`m no different, I use Rotosound Steel Roundwounds heavy gauge. They are zingy new, but once a couple of weeks old have some real oommph to them. Whenever I buy a new Fender Precision, with the stock strings on, it sounds like a guitar, in comparison to my others with the Rotos.

Strings will definitely change the sound, if you're after 'deep' rather than 'zingy', another different option is flats - I've just tried some D'Addario Chromes on one of my basses, and I'm getting a good punchy rock tone. Everyone will have their own favourite strings and recommend them, FWIW on the Rounds side of things I use DR Low Rider Nickels when I'm flush and when I'm skint I use D'Addario Nickel rounds.

Try a few, your ears (and fingers) will be the judge.

Thanks guys..Ill definately change the strings. And thanks for the idea of the flats.

Lozz you are bang on with what you say about stock strings, apart from the E the rest sound like a guitar. I'll be changing the strings immediately.

Thanks for your help all, I was starting to think I was hearing things...!

Cheers

I have a Blacktop 'P' on which I immediately changed the strings to Ernie Hybrid's which are my favourite and I'm very pleased with the sound. This is the 2nd Blacktop, the first when delivered had a dead pup (can't remember which one) straight out of the box so it went back to Sounds Live and they sent me another which was fine.

Don't want to teach you to suck eggs but have you tried each pup solo?

LC

Thanks LC

I have tried most combinations and can get a decent sound messing about with the tone and pups but feel its a fine line sounding too flat going too far down on tone and pups. I am chuffed with the Blacktop and its power but its just a personal thing which I think changing the strings will fix. Maybe being too fussy..!!

Thanks