Why become a member? ×

bowed jazz inspiration

MandShef

Just found this. It's Craig Butterfield playing Charlie Parker's 'Donna Lee'. He plays the sax solo on his bass with absolute precision. One thing I noticed is how he starts thumb position much sooner than normal:

[url="http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2012/01/15/craig-butterfield-charlie-parkers-donna-lee-on-double-bass/"]http://www.notreble....on-double-bass/[/url]

I really want to practise with the bow but it's so LOUD... Any advice? I partly don't want to upset my dog who thinks I'm the worst musician in the world, but also don't want to put my neighbours through it.

I love the sound (when it works) but if I could make it only as loud as playing pizz that would make it a lot more practical.

You can get practice mutes apparently, tho' be careful not to confuse them with an orchestral mute (round shaped) which just softens the sound but doesn't make it significantly quieter. I'm v lucky - my neighbour is deaf! I am also able to practice in the daytime when folk are at work. Hope you find a way around it, 'cos it's definitely worth learning.

[quote name='FLoydElgar' timestamp='1358543142' post='1941304']a thought, instead of spending money or wasting time on mutes etc... You could practice playing quiter with the bow! The bow is capable of playing Pianmissimo as well as Forte ;-p[/quote]

Half the fun is getting your arm behind it though. And I think if I tried to play soft I would just get squeaks and harmonics and awfulness. Not that I don't manage that anyway...

I will try it though.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1358534040' post='1941100']
Do they really work? It doesn't look like it would do much. Maybe I should get one anyway, no harm in trying.
[/quote]

I've only ever tried an orchestral mute, so I don't know tbh. Hopefully someone on here will know more ... In the meantime is it worth asking your neighbours if they mind? If you pre-arrange a time when you're gonna make some noise, and promise it'll only be for 20 mins, they might be OK with it?!

I live in a Semi - and I took to practising in the hallway with the doors through to the living room closed, hoping that it will reduce the volume (I was going to say noise!), not that they take consideration when they're doing DIY. I found that when I was trying to keep the noise down, I was not bowing as well or getting my dynamics right - and my teacher was telling me to use 'lots of bow' etc. so I decided to never practice half-heartedly again! I also practise in the day time as much as I can when they're out and I'm off-shift from work.

I'm not too sure that it would work as well in a Flat, though?!

[quote name='MandShef' timestamp='1358589759' post='1941702']I've only ever tried an orchestral mute, so I don't know tbh. Hopefully someone on here will know more ... In the meantime is it worth asking your neighbours if they mind? If you pre-arrange a time when you're gonna make some noise, and promise it'll only be for 20 mins, they might be OK with it?![/quote]

I've never had any complaints from my neighbours at all, they're nice people and I never do any playing after 9pm to avoid annoying them. The problem is that I'm worried they'll hear what it sounds like! :o

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1358600207' post='1941938']
I've never had any complaints from my neighbours at all, they're nice people and I never do any playing after 9pm to avoid annoying them. The problem is that I'm worried they'll hear what it sounds like! :o
[/quote]

Well in that case stop worrying & go for it!!!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1358600207' post='1941938']
[/quote]

When I played the trumpet and lived in a flat I used to have to practice in a hall cupboard. :D

I don't have neighbours any more, happily, but if I had I could never bring myself to inflict my bowing on them. In fact, i can't bear to inflict it on me.