Why become a member? ×

Played a gig with a Genz Benz shuttle 6.0

Ham fisted Bass

[quote name='trent900' post='203307' date='May 20 2008, 10:16 PM']Very true. When they arrive, do you think you'll be in the market for an ultralightweight GK head? :huh:[/quote]
Maybe in about 15 years which is how long it took them to start marketing hybrid heads featuring a valve preamp after SWR first introduced them. :)

I am lucky enough to live between the US and UK and own the hyped Shuttle 6.0 - I bought 2 in the US about 3 months ago, and sold one on ebay in the UK about 3 weeks back. I have gigged the other several times now, both with just a Neox212T backline and DI/PA support and I can tell you this is one amazing head. You have to live with it a while to really love it, and you will find the tone you want. Together with the GB Neox it has plenty of headroom for even large halls, and the DI is one of the best I have come across. I owned a Countryman 85, but have sold it now as I don't ever see me needing it again. If you know the NEo-Pak 3.5, the Shuttle tone when EQ'd flat is VERY similar, the front end is indentical I understand. Only downside as far as I can see it is the lack of 2Ohm capability. But then when I had the 2, I connected the effects send of one to the effects return of the other, connected an Epi410 and the Neox212T and had the most incredible 7lb 1200W rig of doom!!!!! At US prices you can afford to own 2 though. I will be bringing another new back to the UK next week - if anyone is interested in one let me know. But don't tell C&E :-)

[quote name='deekay911' post='204714' date='May 23 2008, 04:06 AM']I am lucky enough to live between the US and UK and own the hyped Shuttle 6.0 - I bought 2 in the US about 3 months ago, and sold one on ebay in the UK about 3 weeks back. I have gigged the other several times now, both with just a Neox212T backline and DI/PA support and I can tell you this is one amazing head. You have to live with it a while to really love it, and you will find the tone you want. Together with the GB Neox it has plenty of headroom for even large halls, and the DI is one of the best I have come across. I owned a Countryman 85, but have sold it now as I don't ever see me needing it again. If you know the NEo-Pak 3.5, the Shuttle tone when EQ'd flat is VERY similar, the front end is indentical I understand. Only downside as far as I can see it is the lack of 2Ohm capability. But then when I had the 2, I connected the effects send of one to the effects return of the other, connected an Epi410 and the Neox212T and had the most incredible 7lb 1200W rig of doom!!!!! At US prices you can afford to own 2 though. I will be bringing another new back to the UK next week - if anyone is interested in one let me know. But don't tell C&E :-)[/quote]
Hi Deekay. I also travel to the states a lot but have been worried about bringing a head back in case voltage /Hz problems mess with it. I know the Markbass covers the voltage range and can switch between 50/60Hz so can I now assume that Genz Benz does the same? That would be nice. Anyone else know of any other makes that can cope with pond jumping?

[quote name='Maxcat' post='204806' date='May 23 2008, 05:00 AM']Hi Deekay. I also travel to the states a lot but have been worried about bringing a head back in case voltage /Hz problems mess with it. I know the Markbass covers the voltage range and can switch between 50/60Hz so can I now assume that Genz Benz does the same? That would be nice. Anyone else know of any other makes that can cope with pond jumping?[/quote]

Yes don't worry about the voltage, there is a switch on the back between 120 and 240 Volts (actually it sayss 230 oddly enough) but I can assure you it works fine in the UK, as did my Neo-Pak. Also this Amp is small enought to go in your luggage without raising any suspicians through Customs :-) I have heard the new tiny GK 500 due out later this year will also be switchable (it is a lot easier with the SMPS power supplies to do this).

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='204904' date='May 23 2008, 12:35 PM']Yes he is :huh:[/quote]
1. Bad.
2. And jealous. :)
3. And trying to find enough money for Shuttle and a nice pair of 12's to go with it.
4. Without selling - a wife, b daughter, c organs, d car
5. And somewhere to hide it if I don't do 4a
At least transport wouldn't be so much of an issue if I did 4d. :huh:
Spare 1500 quid anyone? (Yes, I've priced it up) :huh: :huh:

[quote name='deekay911' post='204889' date='May 23 2008, 12:01 PM']Yes don't worry about the voltage, there is a switch on the back between 120 and 240 Volts (actually it sayss 230 oddly enough) but I can assure you it works fine in the UK, as did my Neo-Pak. Also this Amp is small enought to go in your luggage without raising any suspicians through Customs :-) I have heard the new tiny GK 500 due out later this year will also be switchable (it is a lot easier with the SMPS power supplies to do this).[/quote]

I'm in danger of making a huge mistake here - but while the operating voltage is important; (the Shuttle can switch between US and EU Voltages) I don't think that it will switch frequencies - it could, but I'd guess that the GB engineers have factored the change in frequencies into their design rather than actually change the frequencies in the amp.

I have been tormenting myself with the owners manual:
POWER INPUT – VOLTAGE SELECTOR SWITCH - The SHUTTLE 6.0® utilizes rear panel switch selectable universal power supply that operates from 100V to 240 volts, 50 to 60 Hz for world wide use. Simply set the switch to the appropriate AC mains voltage (BEFORE connecting to the power source), and utilize the proper IEC cord-set appropriate for the country the product is being used.
For countries using 100V, 110V, 115V and 120V AC mains, select the 115V switch position on the Voltage Selector switch.
For countries using 220V, 230V, and 240V AC mains, select the 230V switch position on the Voltage Selector switch.
There is no externally accessible AC mains (line) fuse, the internal fuse is integral to the SMPS power supply and is not user serviceable. This fuse will not fail except under very unlikely fault conditions to the SMPS, and if this occurs a qualified service technician is required to correct the problem.

[quote name='deekay911' post='204714' date='May 23 2008, 04:06 AM']if anyone is interested in one let me know. But don't tell C&E :-)[/quote]

That's 2% on the cost of purchase plus VAT - According to TARIC home page - Hope you're not coming in via Heathrow T5! that probably will be no faster than anyone else can get them... :)

Good amp though.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='205102' date='May 23 2008, 04:56 PM']I have been tormenting myself with the owners manual:
POWER INPUT – VOLTAGE SELECTOR SWITCH - The SHUTTLE 6.0® utilizes rear panel switch selectable universal power supply that operates from 100V to 240 volts, 50 to 60 Hz for world wide use. Simply set the switch to the appropriate AC mains voltage (BEFORE connecting to the power source), and utilize the proper IEC cord-set appropriate for the country the product is being used.
For countries using 100V, 110V, 115V and 120V AC mains, select the 115V switch position on the Voltage Selector switch.
For countries using 220V, 230V, and 240V AC mains, select the 230V switch position on the Voltage Selector switch.
There is no externally accessible AC mains (line) fuse, the internal fuse is integral to the SMPS power supply and is not user serviceable. This fuse will not fail except under very unlikely fault conditions to the SMPS, and if this occurs a qualified service technician is required to correct the problem.[/quote]
You're making me sad, I wish that I had a Shuttle 6.0 to give you... out of kindness.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='205102' date='May 23 2008, 04:56 PM']I have been tormenting myself with the owners manual:
There is no externally accessible AC mains (line) fuse, the internal fuse is integral to the SMPS power supply and is not user serviceable. This fuse will not fail except under very unlikely fault conditions to the SMPS, and if this occurs a qualified service technician is required to correct the problem.[/quote]

US models will work fine in the EU. There is a distinct design for Australia.

[quote name='BB2000' post='205114' date='May 23 2008, 05:07 PM']US models will work fine in the EU. There is a distinct design for Australia.[/quote]
Oh someone please post a pic of an upside down amp...