Why become a member? ×

GK MB800 channel 2 gain - just not enough?

KingMacca

When using my GK MB800 head on the 2nd channel with a lot of gain, it just doesn't seem to go far enough in to the 'bite' of the sound I'd like out of it. I play a Yamaha Jazz mostly on neck pup with not a lot of treble dialed in. This goes through a 2x12 GK cab. The tone does bite when I hit it hard enough but I'd like a bit more of the bite to be there, more of the time - if that makes sense, not just when i'm spanking it.

I'm now wondering if I'm just expecting the wrong thing from the head as I see they've released the same head but with a tube pre amp on it - doh

Anyone else use an MB head and gets a big biting GK tone out of their 2nd channel? Maybe I'm just dialing it in wrong, or should play more bridge with more treble, no horn etc?

I have an MB800 too. Thing is, channel two isn't really channel two. It is a separate gain stage yes, but only in as much as it's still controlling the same FET preamp which isn't really designed to go crazily 'over the edge'. Having said that, with the input pad set to off and driving it hard with my high output active EMG bass electronics, it distorts yes, but really not in a way that I like. If you are after more grit, i'd suggest using a bass distortion pedal like the highly recommended Darkglass B3k or B7k or the Catalinbread SFT.

I had the 500 version of this, and with a Precision, and a Schroeder cab had no problems. I had all eq on midday, including the contour.As you say it`s there when you hit the bass hard, maybe a stronger output pickup if you don`t want to add pedals. Plus I found the growl was coming from the highs, so wouldn`t switch off the tweeter.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1357812445' post='1928655']
Perhaps in this case you have too much headroom?
[/quote]

I was wondering if this was the case - but not had the chance to (honestly) get the master vol on the head past 2 with the gain set to where I want it. I'm basically driving the channel pretty hard to get close to where I want it so I can't turn up the master too much.
I need to have another go at getting it set up properly when I'm in a rehearsal room I think.