Why become a member? ×

Should I buy a Drum Machine or not??

Linus27

I was looking at getting a metronome to use as practise to play along to as I learn to play double bass. I have been doing this with my teacher and it has been a good thing. Then, I downloaded some of the loops that Ped had posted and they gave me some inspiration to make some bass lines up to play on my fretless. So I then got thinking that it would be cool to get a drum machine so I then can chuck out some random drum beats so I can play along to. I seem to be able to make up bass lines up on the hop from just hearing drums playing. The sort of thing I would be after is jazz beats, hip hop, slow groove type stuff. Certainly not rock, metal or funk.

So, is a drum machine the right sort of thing I am looking for? Ideally, I don't want to get bogged down with programming my own beats so lots of pre-sets would be great. I don't wanted to be to limited with only 5 or so pre-sets.

Also, any recommended drum machines if this is the right sort of direction to head in? The Zoom SB223 Street box Drum machine looks pretty cool.

Any help would be really appreciated.

I'd say if you have a computer you'd be better off buying something like Virtual Drums or another percussion program..... the sounds are better than most drum machines and are easy to program. you can also burn stuff to cd so you can make up a practice cd to take with you any where.

Zoom MRT-3..... 400 presets and you can programme up 100 tracks.

I love it.....drum sounds are realistic.

My guitarist and I practice to one when we're in between drummers (like now), and TBH?

Its a damn sight more reliable.

:)

[url="http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/mrt3/index.php"]http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/mrt3/index.php[/url]

i got a link to [url="http://www.threechords.com/hammerhead/introduction.shtml"]THIS[/url] via a recent thread on BC.
its pretty good and it should put you on till you get a machine.its a freebie btw.
hope it helps.

Edited by kennyrodg

I use an Alesis and it's great. If you're a singer songwriter doing demos I'd recommend drum loops like the ones at drumsondemand.com but for doing your own patterns or putting together customised practise patterns the drum machine is great. I've tried using software ones but as I don't have a notebook portability becomes an issue and for me drum machines are more intuitive.

Either way, learning about drumming and "the groove" in general is an essential part of growing as a bassist - it's something I'm pushing myself to do more with. With the Alesis units, the SR-16 or the SR-18 they have the ability to program in swing quite easily. It is done as a percentage and there are three "amounts" of swing that can be programmed in. I wasn't sure from the specs whether the Boss DR-3 or Zoom units had that function so I went for the Alesis.

The new Alesis SR-18 has instrument input and runs off mains or batteries so it can be used as a practise amp too.

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='200886' date='May 17 2008, 09:27 AM']i got a link to [url="http://www.threechords.com/hammerhead/introduction.shtml"]THIS[/url] via a recent thread on BC.
its pretty good and it should put you on till you get a machine.its a freebie btw.
hope it helps.[/quote]
Actually I found that quite annoying to use, coz you can't set the time signature and you can't import your own samples... if you just want simple 4:4 beats though, can't fault it!

[quote name='nig' post='200962' date='May 17 2008, 11:42 AM']I just got a boss br micro, its turning into a great bass trainer, many fine drum and metronome times in it plus all the other reasons for using it and its an mp3 player etc...[/quote]

I have a Br as well, and as a drum machine its sh1te compared to the Zoom..... The br is a great pice of kit but a drum machine it aint....

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Well I tried an Alesis SR16 at Andertons and I was a little disapointed. The guy in Andertons was as useless as possible because I was not interested in spending £250 on the latest model of drum machine. So he was not interested in showing me the Alesis SR16 but he did show me how to scoll through the drum patterns and then just walked away :)

So I had a play but I just found the machine to limited. It only had about 4 jazz beats and lots of rock beats. I guess I could programme some but at this stage I wanted to avoid this.

Thanks for the help so far but I think I am going to keep looking. I may just go with a metronome at the moment as something to play along to.

Hi mate,

Have a look at Hydrogen, a computer based drum machine. Free and very easy to use. There are some good demo songs with it (one of which is similar to that jazz loop which I am still asking for) and I have loads of grooves programmed by my brother I could share.

[url="http://www.hydrogen-music.org/?p=main"]http://www.hydrogen-music.org/?p=main[/url]

Cheers
ped

[quote name='Linus27' post='214275' date='Jun 7 2008, 11:36 AM']Well I tried an Alesis SR16 at Andertons and I was a little disapointed. The guy in Andertons was as useless as possible because I was not interested in spending £250 on the latest model of drum machine. So he was not interested in showing me the Alesis SR16 but he did show me how to scoll through the drum patterns and then just walked away :)

So I had a play but I just found the machine to limited. It only had about 4 jazz beats and lots of rock beats. I guess I could programme some but at this stage I wanted to avoid this.

Thanks for the help so far but I think I am going to keep looking. I may just go with a metronome at the moment as something to play along to.[/quote]

The presets are okish, it comes into it own when you get into programming your own beats and sequencing full songs. The only thing I found I couldn't do was tempo changes mid song, you can bring it in and out at different tempos though with the tap tempo and some footpedals.