Why become a member? ×

WTB: realist soundclip

Rabbie

Gotta do a bit of travelling in new year with rental basses and all that. Would like to try a realist soundclip pickup, one of those you screw on and off the bridge in seconds (or so it seems). Does anybody have one they would like to get rid of in the Basschat January sale? If so, please PM me. Thanks.

Edited by Rabbie

If I recall correctly, BC'er Mr_Bassman (aka Keith) tried one of these a couple of years ago and was deeply unimpressed. I've not seen mention of one on BC since. Maybe a bridge wing piezo - BassMax or Shadow 950 - would be a good simple quick-on/quick-off solution, coupled with a suitable preamp (PlatPro or Headway)? Alternatively the Ehrlund contact microphone is the one getting all the rave reviews at the moment on TalkBass (and from some BC'ers) but it does require a bit of playing around to find the 'sweet spot' on any given bass.

Good point, I've played a Shadow 950 for ages, along with a Rev solo and I have never looked into any other pickup, so i've kinda fallen behind. I just fancied something I can take on and off rental basses and in both cases above you most likely would need a very small (but impossible) modification. I know nothing about the Ehrlund contact mic but I shall look into it. Cheers Clarky.

Edited by Rabbie

Here's some reading on the Ehrlund for you! Daf Lewis of BC is the UK distributor by the way (I have no affiliation or commission!!!)

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f4/ehrlund-blog-sort-909299/

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/185503-ehrlund-eap-where-to-buy/

Here's the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/111484-david-gage-bad-sound-clip/page__p__1100216__hl__sound%20clip__fromsearch__1#entry1100216"]old thread[/url]

Get a Bassmax or Underwood, or buy a travel bass like a Kolstein or Eminence

A Gage Realist or APTflex would be an easier fit to any bass rather than differing wing slots, however they may not sound great on some instruments.

Good luck :)

Edited by Mr Bassman

Thanks Mr Bassman, hire basses across the pond often seem to come with Underwoods (on request of course). Bassmax is ok for loud gigs but mine are not. Me and travel basses don't get on. It's a physical thing: lack of attraction you see. I really don't mind driving alone with my bass in the car to UK gigs instead of chucking a travel bass in with the other instruments. And my overseas travels are so rare that buying a travel bass would be a bit ostentatious. Nah, I prefer hiring. I just thought that a realist soundclip would let me carry about a 'bit of my own sound' but I very much appreciate the advice and thanks again.

My friend Greg (gcordez) seems to like the Dyn-B for the purpose of travelling (and swapping between basses, he has an addiction!) so it might be worth checking out. I do find it sounds very similar to the Realist on the whole (though more expensive). Good luck!

Mmmm, thank you all for your excellent suggestions. I think that, at least for my next overseas trip I shall stick to the pickup of whatever hire bass I get. Might have to put up with a less than perfect sound, but then again, the audience often has to put up with my less than perfect playing...Meanwhile I shall keep my eyes and ears open. Thanks again

Edited by Rabbie