Why become a member? ×

any love for the Modern Player jazz?

clashcityrocker

Looking for a jazz bass and at the price I can't ignore these modern player jazzes,they certaintly look the part but I can't help thinking why they have put double jazz pickups on them. Will playing one make me extra modern?! Has anyone played one,how do they affect the sound? I guess and wonder if it works well why didn't fender do this the previous 60 or so years the jazz has been about. Any help would be much appreciated
Simon

[attachment=125891:squier modern pl icon 002.jpg]
Hi Simon,
Heres mine, for the money it's excellent, as good a fit and finish as any other Fender i've played, as for the sound, think more of a bigger jazz sound and the front pickup is similar to a precision IMO.
Great for rock.

Edited by Cygnus x-1

I was ready to pull the trigger on one of these a few months ago. Great rock sound as above and a bit thicker sounding than a std jazz. Neck was nice too.

Until i tried a Yamaha BB424X next to one and the Yammy blew its socks off! Slightly thicker neck but sound was WAY more up my street for a rock band.

Give one a go if you can.

• 3 months later...

I've had a Modern Player for the past eight months, and am still trying to find something not to like. The neck is super easy, the body not too heavy - but not so light as to feel flimsy.

For me, it sounds best with both pickups on full - you get Precision grunt with some Jazz-ish note definition. The mid pickup sounds very good by itself, though on its own the bridge is a bit honky for my tastes, and lacks bottom end.

There's no rough edges or evident cheapness - though action / intonation did take a bit of setting up initially.

Build quality is superb, and not just 'for the price.'

I've yet to see a bad review of these basses. As one of them said: if they carry on like this, Made in China will be the new Made in Japan.

I tried one of these in my local music shop and was blown away by it. The finish was the only thing that i thought let it down (it was a thick plastic-feeling coating that wasn't the nicest) but playability and fit was lovely.
I love Jazz basses but i've never actually owned a Fender, the ones i've tried in the past were always too pricey OR didn't have the punch i wanted. I play a VM Squier Jazz that fits the bill perfectly but the Modern Player ones are lovely.

I bought one a couple of weeks ago (just before the price hike :-)) and love it. I am a born again novice so that is where my review is coming from. Compared to the old semi's I played in my distant youth it is so much easier to play . I have never played another fender so can't compare like with like though.

The quality and finish appear faultless an it seems to stay in tune well. I find I can adjust the pickup mix to whatever sound I want through blues to Motown to heavy rock to punk. The neck is dead straight. The action is good with no fret buzz and I don't have to press too hard on the strings even when I am playing the bass solo from alright now on the 19th fret of the g string.

My only complaint is that it is wearing my finger tips away, because I can't put the damn thing down.

Oh, and it looks really cool!

Edited by great harry