Why become a member? ×

measurements!

thunderider

dunno if this is the right place but....im looking to have a body made,either like an ovation magnum or lacey helix,some odd shape.i shall be using the hardware and neck from an ibanez gsr 200 as they seem to be worthless on a resale value!! but is there a specific distance from the bridge to the nut ect or is the no rule of thumb?

for a 34" scale bass, which that one almost certainly is, its 34 inches from the nut to where the string makes contact with the bridge. As for a specific distance from the nut to the front of the bridge, you'll have to go by the saddles. When i made mine, i moved my bridge so that the 34" was to the centre of the bridge saddles when the saddles were half an inch back from their maximum forward distance.

hope it helps.

Basses come with different "scale length"s (the distance from bridge to nut). 34" is pretty common, but 35" and 32" occur quite a lot too.

However, the length determines the fret positions, so if you have a fretted neck (or a fretless neck with any sort of position markers), then you must stick to the same scale length as that neck. To work out what that length is, you need this rule:
[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1356304504' post='1909108']
Bridge to the 12th fret=the same as the nut to the 12th fret.
[/quote]