Why become a member? ×

Westone Thunder 1A PUp Help Please

Billy Apple

I've just been cleaning up my newly acquired Westone Thunder 1A. The pick ups weren't sitting right so I thought I'd take them out and reseat them. Under each Pup is a rubber cushion and one cushion has had the pup over hanging it, which explains why it was not sitting right. The cushions are glued to a brass plate which appears to be earthed at one end. There is another blob of solder on it with no wire.

Embedded in each cushion is a silver washer, on centrally located, the other to one side. What are these washers for? I want to make sure I get it all right when I put the pups back in.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/x0gvG.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/MikT2.jpg[/IMG]

The washers shouldn't be there so you can just get rid of them.
My first long scale bass was ( and still is ) a Thunder 1A many years ago and I 've beeen through all the electronics several times ( at present has lo-Z EMGs fitted)

Edited by rmorris

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1356301501' post='1909064']
So what the Bejesus are they doing there? All I can think of is some once had the Pups out, the magnets picked up a couple of washers and were returned without noticing.. Bit of a mystery :scratch_one-s_head:
[/quote]

Easily done, do they fit the jack socket? Does it stand fairly proud of its mounting hole? Take it to bits, put the bits in a box, those are the things that will stick and not be missed as it will go together without them.