Why become a member? ×

Double bass documentary

MandShef

[url="http://youtu.be/bTzy85j-wW4"]http://youtu.be/bTzy85j-wW4[/url]

Thought you guys would appreciate this. It's an old documentary about a double bass competition held in 1978. There's some well known names from the double bass world like Gary Karr, and Rodney Slatford, and some wonderful playing. It's an hour long, so you'll need to watch it at your leisure.

Enjoy!

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1356086746' post='1906563']
My old teacher Jirji Hudec won this. It's great to see and hear a younger version of him sounding so good.[/quote]

He was your teacher? That's fabulous!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1356103157' post='1906912']
Just watched it! I'm new to Db but already love Gary Karr :)
[/quote]

He always looks like he's enjoying himself, and makes it all look so effortless doesn't he?

[quote name='MandShef' timestamp='1356257082' post='1908386']

He was your teacher? That's fabulous!

He always looks like he's enjoying himself, and makes it all look so effortless doesn't he?
[/quote]

It amazes me how much range the upright can cover when played by him, deep lows up to almost violin like tones, beautiful!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1356270806' post='1908578']
It amazes me how much range the upright can cover when played by him, deep lows up to almost violin like tones, beautiful!
[/quote]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]I was really lucky studying for 2 years at the RNCM. My Main teacher was Roberto Carillio-Garcia (principle bassist with the Halle), but I also had extra lessons with Jirji Hudec (principle bassist with the Czech Philharmonic) and Bozo Paradzik (world class soloist). It was so inspiring to hear the incredible tone that all of my teachers were able to draw from the bass. The colours and expression were [/size][/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]truly humbling. They were also inspiring people who's love of music and energy was endless.[/font]

Edited by geoffbassist

One of the comments on Youtube was that the sound has changed so much since those days. I presume that anyone who is going to go to the hassle of watching an hour long doc has half a clue about the subject under discussion. It has been a LONG time since I have been on the classical side, but if it has changed, what has changed?