Why become a member? ×

Testing the water: Peavey T-40

mike257

Right-o, I've not long moved out of the 'rents house, and settled in my own place, and money is a little tight to say the least. With much heart wrenching, I've decided that maybe I should part company with a bass, and as much as I love this one, it's probably getting the least attention of any of them.

Where to start.....

Peavey manufactured these basses from the late 70's til the late-ish 80's (i think), and they're built like tanks. It's a big chunky (heavy) piece of wood, with a hefty bridge. The sustain is immense, and the tone circuit is pretty unique too. It's got a pair of humbuckers, but with a variable coil tap wired into the tone pots, and a phase switch too.

My one is (according to Peavey) from 1980, and it's black-on-black, with a maple neck. It's all original (EDIT: except Schaller strap pins... the original ones are around somewhere tho), and all working, with no dodgy electrics anywhere. It does have some chips and scratches, but only what you'd expect from a 28 year old gigging bass.

I bought it little over 12 months ago from a local bloke who trades vintage gear. It's in a hefty Yamaha-branded hard case, also showing wear and tear, and with a backstage pass from a Paul McCartney world tour stuck to the side!

The only photo I have to hand is an embarassing bass-face live pic, and the bass is all reflections really, but you should get the gist.

[attachment=8657:Mike_Dave.jpg]

I'm in Liverpool, and although local sales are easier, I'd be prepared to travel (meet halfway?) for reasonable offers. I'll get some proper photos up if anybody is interested. Open to sensible offers, but I'm looking to move it fairly soon, got bills to pay and all that!!

[url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric%20Bass/product/Peavey/T-40/10/1"]Harmony Central[/url] reviews are on the link.

Cheers guys,

Mike

Edited by mike257

[quote name='dangerboy' post='199106' date='May 14 2008, 10:06 PM']These are phenomenal. But heavy. But phenomenal.[/quote]

I know, I can't believe i'm doing this.... It's just not in my blood to [i]get rid [/i]of basses, I feel dirty just talking about it. I'm properly skint though. I'm using the 'rays for all my live stuff at the moment, and I've pretty much finished my tarted up squier-of-doom project, I can't really justify having this many basses whilst being this poor!!

[quote name='mike257' post='199012' date='May 14 2008, 08:00 PM']The only photo I have to hand is an embarassing bass-face live pic...[/quote]

You should worry. Every picture of me playing gives me a lovely pair of knockers.

[quote name='finnbass' post='199849' date='May 15 2008, 07:36 PM']There's an interesting fan-forum here:

[url="http://peaveyt40.forumotion.com/login.forum?connexion"]http://peaveyt40.forumotion.com/login.forum?connexion[/url][/quote]

I just had a "moment" when I saw the one on the login page

[quote name='finnbass' post='200198' date='May 16 2008, 10:00 AM']Here's a couple of pictures of mine, which may help things along a bit.

Alert!! This is [b]not the bass for sale[/b], but a very similar one:

[/quote]
Stop it!!! It's too tempting :)

[quote name='finnbass' post='200198' date='May 16 2008, 10:00 AM']Here's a couple of pictures of mine, which may help things along a bit.[/quote]

Cheers Finn!! You're a gent.

If I can dig my camera out (still in a box somewhere.... the joys of moving home) I'll try grab a couple of pics when I'm at the studio this week.

Anyone local to Liverpool who's interested is more than welcome to come try it out. It lives in my rehearsal rooms in the city centre, so nice loud try-outs through the Ampeg are no problem :)

Anyone interested, drop me a PM with a reasonable offer, and I'll get back to you soon as I can.