Why become a member? ×

Recording project advice from you wonderful people

RockfordStone

so over the past 3/4 years i have been at the helm of a band where i have done the bulk of the writing, the recording, and pushing etc with this band.

as of 2013, inspired by the recording competitions on here, i am giving up on trying to push a band, so i intend to write and record alone and release music alone with the occasional collaboration (potentially with some of you guys if you'd be interested).

trouble is i wan't to release music as a project, not as me, something that possibly in the future could become a band if it leads that way.

part of me wants to start fresh, but part of me is still tied to the old project which i have put so much time and effort into over the past few years, i have the emails, facebooks, contacts, put up the money to have the music released previous and registered the band name in my name.

my question to you is, given that people in the local scene associate me with this project, do i carry on with it alone.... or do i start totally fresh and build again?

Edited by RockfordStone

all owned by me, the other band members have no interest and all the original members have their own bands now, the guys i used for a couple of gigs this year have had no input in the songs, so people always think of paper soldiers as me.

part of the reasoning i wan't to keep "paper soldiers" is that i think its a pretty good name and the best ive ever come up with, and ive given it so much of my energy and passion its a strong base to release new music from, and it seems a shame to just let it die.

maybe im being too sentimental

Edited by RockfordStone

Hard to say Rob... it's ultimately your decision (of course!). If I were in your shoes I'd be thinking of it in terms of:

[b]- Are there any potentially 'negative vibes' associated with the old project name?[/b] How does it make me feel when I think about? If there's any hint of disappointment or regret, do I want to address that by sticking with it and making things right, or would I be better off consigning it to history and starting afresh.

[b]- Would I feel creatively constrained by sticking with the original name?[/b] In other words, would doing so make me feel pressured to produce the same kind of material and if so, is that the direction I want to head in musically? Or do I want to try something new and liberating?

[b]- How much recognition and following does the old project have?[/b] Does it provide a ready-made audience for my new music - and would the audience really notice/care if the format had changed from how it was previously?

[b]- How much much time and money have I invested in the original project?[/b] Does the investment support or outweigh some of the considerations above?

[b]- Could I do things much better if I started again?[/b] And does thinking about starting again give me a buzz, or does it make me take a deep breath and start worrying about all the things I need to do...?

Not sure if that helps, but heh, it's hoopefully food for thought! Personally, I like the name 'Paper Soldiers' - it doesn't scream any particular style of music to me, and it obviously allows room for collaboration or even evolving into a full blown band in future. But that's just one man's opinion.

Whatever you decide, good luck with it mate! :)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1355832315' post='1903259']
Hard to say Rob... it's ultimately your decision (of course!). If I were in your shoes I'd be thinking of it in terms of:

[b]- Are there any potentially 'negative vibes' associated with the old project name?[/b] How does it make me feel when I think about? If there's any hint of disappointment or regret, do I want to address that by sticking with it and making things right, or would I be better off consigning it to history and starting afresh.

[b]- Would I feel creatively constrained by sticking with the original name?[/b] In other words, would doing so make me feel pressured to produce the same kind of material and if so, is that the direction I want to head in musically? Or do I want to try something new and liberating?

[b]- How much recognition and following does the old project have?[/b] Does it provide a ready-made audience for my new music - and would the audience really notice/care if the format had changed from how it was previously?

[b]- How much much time and money have I invested in the original project?[/b] Does the investment support or outweigh some of the considerations above?

[b]- Could I do things much better if I started again?[/b] And does thinking about starting again give me a buzz, or does it make me take a deep breath and start worrying about all the things I need to do...?

Not sure if that helps, but heh, it's hoopefully food for thought! Personally, I like the name 'Paper Soldiers' - it doesn't scream any particular style of music to me, and it obviously allows room for collaboration or even evolving into a full blown band in future. But that's just one man's opinion.

Whatever you decide, good luck with it mate! :)
[/quote]

luckily there are no negative points about it, it just never had a line up that could settle with each other and constant issues with unreliable band members. its generic sounding name was devised as the original ethos was to write what we wanted and what people enjoyed, which is ultimately what we did, and we never struggled to get people to our shows locally, and as the line up has always been so fluid (4 drummers, 5 guitarists), people have only ever really associated it as being my band as im the only one who has stuck with it.

ive tried starting fresh before, but have always been drawn back to it, and i get more sense of enjoyment when i play as paper soldiers rather than as any other new project, and everything i write ends up leaning to the vibe i got from the band. ive had someone say to me that paper soldiers is me, and i am paper soldiers... maybe thats how it should be, i dunno

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1355833077' post='1903273']...ive tried starting fresh before, but have always been drawn back to it, and i get more sense of enjoyment when i play as paper soldiers rather than as any other new project, and everything i write ends up leaning to the vibe i got from the band. ive had someone say to me that paper soldiers is me, and i am paper soldiers... maybe thats how it should be, i dunno[/quote]

Sounds like you've answered your own question! :D

• 3 weeks later...