Why become a member? ×

painting a fingerboard

art j64

Its good to know that painted fretboards have had years of letting myself, Larry Graham, Prince, Larry Graham down.

It's all down to what you "paint" your fingerboard with...

Ah yeah, painted fretboards also let a certain Jaco down too...

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1355789207' post='1902916']
Painted? With paint? Really? I dont believe you.
[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF4sJHBIYEo

And it's a piccolo... watch those string literally strip the finish before your very eyes....

I think its down to what paint you use, and more importantly finishing it off in a very hard laquer/poly. For years I retold the story of Jack Bruce's Fender Bass VI, which had the fretboard painted and was useless for all but miming after that. But that was painted by someone who knows nothing about guitars.

If you're painting an open grain wood (like rosewood), you will need to fill the grain IMO before you paint. I would research the paint quite carefully and its compatibility with the finish coat. You could then finish it with clear Epoxy.

But all that said, personally I would not recommend it.

Thanks for the replies folks,my plan is to sand the board down,prime it,paint it,then put a hard laquer on top.See how it works out,if it goes belly up i wont be too upset its a cheap old bass that doesnt get much use.Just a little project for me while im not working(im bored!)